Chapter 30 : Jab (When) They Met

Zoya’s P.O.V.

He loves me.

He loves me not.

He loves me.

He loves me not.

These were my thoughts as I was mindlessly flicking pages of  the voluminous 1500 page novel that I had picked up in an attempt to distract myself. The novel in mention was A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth. A compelling story beautifully written except my mind was stuck on a certain suitable boy that I had left behind, wondering whether he loved me enough to cross the seven seas and bear the ordeal of my family.

Shuffling of feet outside my door brought me out of my mindless musing. Before I had time to think who it could be the door burst open and I saw a pair of black pumps, long legs clad in skinny white jeans with a leather belt, a royal blue shirt tucked neatly in at the hips, two hands on either sides one of which was filled with chunky jewellery, a long neck accentuated by a single chain with an A on it, as I travelled up north, I was stunned to see the mock – furious face of my favorite girlfriend in the whole wide world.

“Ava,” I screamed jumping out of my bed and colliding into her with a bear hug. She hugged me back with the same enthusiasm.

“Z, How I missed you girl.” She said pulling me close.

“What are you doing here? How did you know where I stay?” I ask her breathless with excitement.

“Z Don’t you always tell me, If you search sincerely, you will even find God himself and you my best friend are a mere mortal.” She says with a ear splitting grin.

“I’m so glad you are here. How is Laurent and How is……” I trail off .

“Arnaud?” She completes my statement.

I nod in affirmation.

“Laurent is good. He did not allow me to come here alone. He insisted on tagging along like the sweet and overprotective boyfriend that he is.” She says with a lost look in her eye.

“Arnaud, well he,” she leaves it incomplete on purpose.

“Ava I’m dying here. Your suspense is the cause of it.” I poke her in the ribs. Just then somebody knocks on the door. I tell the person to come in. It’s my dad and he has a rose in his hand. I raise my eyebrow, he shrugs and says that Monu gave it to him. I know Monu has a crush on me so I did not give it much thought.

I continue prodding Ava and she continues evading me. My dad whom I call Appa,  keeps coming in to drop either a rose or a bouquet, something fishy or flowery rather is going on here. I need to find out. We eat lunch :  rasam and rice and Ava licks her plate clean. In my room I continue the interrogation but she, tough nut that she is, does not budge.

My mother arrives home around four. I think my dad told her that Ava is here because she immediately made her way over to my room.

She knocks once and I allow her in. Ava hugs her and they both exchange pleasantries. Ava then says, “Mrs Subramaniam, Zoya, I want to show you something.” She leads us towards the windows and slowly pulls the curtain back.

I am shocked. Standing right opposite on the street is the Frenchman who occupied every waking and sleeping thought in my head right there in the flesh. He looks downright delectable in his snug blue jeans, white  shirt and a rose in his hand. My smexy, hot French Greek God. A grin automatically makes it’s way on my face. He made it.  He is here. I feel like doing the futterwacken for some reason. He looks at me and his face breaks into a grin. I want to run and jump into his arms Bollywood style but I have to restrain myself as my mother is standing right next to me.