Chapter LVIII ✠ The Beginning of the End

Start from the beginning

"Until next time, if my prayers are heard," Una muttered as she turned around.

She gently opened the door and walked out, slowly closing it behind her without looking back. She let her last tear fall from her cheek. Then she stood tall and took a deep breath in through her nose and out through her mouth. She walked down the hall nude, knowing she wouldn't walk into anyone. Everyone was indeed still asleep.

Una made her way down the hall and found Njord's chambers. She slowly opened the door and walked in. Njord was sitting there in his bed, staring up at Una. His wife was soundly asleep, curled up in the blankets.

"You're up early," Njord said softly, standing up.

He was nude, too but didn't seem to care, just like Una. He walked over to his wardrobe and pulled out some pants and a long purple tunic.

"Kings and Queens have it the worst. We must go to bed the latest, and we must be the first to rise." Una whispered.

"Here." Njord walked up to Una and handed her a pile of clothes.

"Thank you," Una uttered and smiled.

"You won't be thankful until I'm dead," Njord whispered and walked back to the wardrobe and pulled out more clothes.

Una stood there and watched as he intricately went through each article of clothing, assessing it closely. As Una was lacing up her pants, she couldn't help but notice that Njord had many scars across his body, far more than Una remembered. Many were cut into his tattoo, so she knew they were recent.

"Take these. They may be a little large, but your feet will swell in battle. There's nothing stronger than boots made from a Dane cordwainer." He smiled and threw her a pair.

"You wear nothing with these?" Una asked.

"They're lined with sheep's wool." He smiled, putting on a pair of pants.

"Ahh, these are much nicer than mine. Hopefully, I can return them in one piece." Una laughed, looking in the boots.

"You seem very bubbly for someone who is about to witness a battle so brutal that blood will gather up as high as your knees," Njord said, expressionless.

"Thank you," Una said

As she put them on, they felt extremely comfortable, heavy but maneuverable. Njord put on his undershirt and tunic. He then grabbed his heavy cloak, saying nothing to his wife as he left out the door. She began to stir at the sounds of Njord walking around. He didn't seem to care if she woke up or not by this point.

"Make sure you shut the door. I don't want Henrik to awaken from soldiers moving out." Njord said.

Una nodded as she slung her tunic over her, carefully pulling the linen undershirt down beneath it. It went down slightly past her knees, but it was better than fighting in a dress. She did that only once, but never again. Someone stabbed her dress into the ground with their sword, and Una was caught like a dog on a rope. She had to cut her dress to free herself.

"Of course," Una whispered back as she laced the front of her thick wool tunic closed.

Njord left Una in the room alone. He didn't seem as anxious as Una thought he would be. Then again, Njord has been in countless wars, and he was a murderer with no remorse. That makes more sense to Una why he doesn't seem to care. He was impassive to any situation, including war.

"Please, Una." A pitiful voice rang out.

"Oh, sorry to wake you," Una said in a hushed toned, turning around.

"It's no matter. I need to ask you a favor." Queen Britta said with a tender smile.

"Yes?" Una asked.