Chapter Eighteen: Orkney

Start from the beginning

Mathinn mahoth,’ I said, trying my hand at the greeting the woman had given Mordred, but all that produced was a smirk from the two men.

Bellina clicked her tongue, and strode forward. ‘Out of my way,’ she said, parting the guards with blows from her eyes. ‘You remember me; I was here last year.’ They looked a little confused but allowed her through. Petal followed close behind. When I approached the two men came together again, but an apologetic shrug from me led to resigned shrugs from them, and they let me in after the two women.

When I caught up with them, Bellina was talking sweetly to a young man, a dark-haired version of Agravaine, though a few years younger. One of his hands was normal, but the other had been replaced by a metal hook. ‘Sweet Prince Gaheris,’ she said. ‘How you’ve grown since last we met. You’re quite the young warrior now. Will you do me the honour of announcing us to your father?’

The lad looked at her adoringly. I saw that Bellina had made a strong impression on him during her last visit. ‘Aye, aye, Lady Bellina,’ he managed to squeeze out, though he was blushing furiously. He offered her his hook, then became flustered and moved round to give her his hand instead. ‘If you’ll, er – aye – if you’ll follow me. Who’s your friend, er – companion?’

‘You remember my maid Petal, I’m sure –’

‘Oi,’ grumbled Petal. ‘I’m not really your maid – you don’t pay me.’

‘And this is Lord Drift of the Lake.’ 

‘Oh aye? Lady Nemue’s son? The one the Saracen girl’s always talking about? Welcome, all of you. Da’s been busy preparing his fleet to sail south, but he’s back now.’

‘You’re sailing south?’ I said.

‘Not me,’ said Gaheris disconsolately. He raised his hook by way of explanation. ‘Bloody lower lists do for me again.’ He saw my confusion and explained. ‘I was at one of King Pellam’s tournaments a few years back. Ugly bruiser called Urre swiped it off me. Isnea my sword hand, like, but it gives Ma an excuse to keep me home. Though I’m as good as my braw Agravaine now, better even.’

‘Then your father has agreed to aid King Mark of Cornwall?’ said Bellina.

Gaheris became flustered all over again. ‘No, that is – aye – no.’ He sighed. ‘Will you not tell him I said anything, my lady? I’m supposed to be careful who I say... anything about it... to.’

Bellina giggled lightly and stroked his hand. All colour drained from the boy’s face. ‘Your secret is safe with me; do not concern yourself, my prince.’

We came to a double door, decorated with large brasses etched with horses and ships. More guards barred our way.

‘Alright, lads,’ said Gaheris proudly. ‘This is Lady Bellina Saunce Pité, and er –’ He turned to me; he had already forgotten my name.

‘Drift of the Lake,’ Bellina prompted him.

‘And Petal of Cornwall.’ The maid folded her arms angrily, upset at being ignored by Gaheris in favour of Bellina. ‘I saw him first,’ she hissed at me as the guards opened the doors. ‘And she’s too old for him anyway.’ Bellina overheard this, and purposefully broke her stride so she could nip Petal’s toe with her heel, which she did without attracting Gaheris’ attention.

The youngest son of Orkney led us into a high wooden hall, at the head of which was a large table, strewn with all kinds of papers. A huge grey-bearded man in a long gown stood behind the table. The man was the size of Agravaine, if much larger in the belly. He was muttering to himself as he shifted the papers, looking first at one, then another. It took a prim cough from Bellina to alert him to our presence. At the moment his attention turned to us a woman appeared between the pillars to our right. She was tall and queenly, past forty, severe, and very beautiful. Her auburn hair was greying but lustrous, her deep blue dress flattering to figure.