Chapter Twenty-Nine: Breaking the Thread

We passed the avenue that led to Sir Breuse’s tent as we rode out of the camp. A furious argument was taking place in front of the knight without pity’s black drapes. Sir Gawain, doubled over with rage, screamed that he was going to leave the siege and hunt down Sir Lamorak. Sir Breuse looked coldly at the grief-demented man. When there was a gap in Gawain’s verbal assault, Sir Breuse reminded him that he had taken an oath to obey Arthur’s orders, and that he, Sir Breuse, was the holder of Arthur’s authority on the plains of Tintagel. The argument fell away from my hearing long before the contest ended.

As soon as we cleared the camp I brought my horse to Palomides’ side. The Saracen rode mechanically, even timidly, his eyes fixed on the road ahead. He didn’t seem to notice me. This was not the shambling blankness I had witnessed in those who had been struck by the Spear of Longius – Palomides was capable of performing the basic actions of horseriding, and the clouds had not returned to the edges of his eyes – but the magical thread in which he was bound restricted his movement. There was nothing expressive in the way he rode, none of the poise or delicacy I had witnessed when he practised jousting on the grassy plain before Castle Eudaimon.

‘Are you well, Palomides?’

‘Yes, Drift.’ He did not turn his head to meet my eye, and did not speak again.

I could feel the long wire that attached him to Merlin. The wizard had not moved from his place to the north, but he knew where we were. I feared he was waiting to see where we were going. I couldn’t take him back to the others, not without first cutting the thread.

The glorious day was succeeded by an equally lovely night, balmy and bright. We took the road I’d suggested Mordred, Melwas, Elia and I avoid that morning, the one that led directly to Alisander’s old house. Palomides followed me obediently, never deviating from the path, never speaking without first being spoken to.

I couldn’t tell from the sky what time we arrived at the ruined homestead by the sea – I’ve never quite been able to read the moon and stars as some people can – but it was either very late or very early. I helped Palomides off his horse, and led him into the crumbling building. Although the dome of its hall was broken in places where the thatch had been burnt or blown away, it provided some shelter. We could quite happily have rested in the open air in that June darkness, but I wanted us hidden from passers-by. If Merlin wanted Palomides back he would have to send someone especially, rather than have one of Arthur’s men get lucky.

‘Can you sleep, Palomides?’

‘Yes, Drift.’ He lay down in the dirt, closed his eyes, and was promptly asleep – or appeared to be.

I sat beside him, struggling to keep my eyes open. I could not miss my dawn rendezvous with the others. My head soon nodded, and I realised that if I did not keep moving I was going to fall asleep. So I left Palomides where he was, mounted my horse, and rode along the coast to the pebble beach where we had come ashore.

They were there, waiting for me. Elia’s sensitive ears had heard my approach over the noise of the surf while I was still several miles away, and they had spied me out from their hiding place in the dunes, recognising the glamour I wore. They were all unharmed, though each of them had sand in their hair and clothes.

‘What news?’ said Mordred, as soon as I was close enough to hear. ‘Did you see him?’

‘I did more than that.’

‘Where is he?’ said Melwas. ‘Is he hurt? Did you have to fight?’

‘No, no, but he’s not quite fine either.’ I explained the spell that tied him to Merlin. ‘So when Palomina arrives to collect us, I need to get Epicene’s books. Hopefully I’ll be able to figure out a way to free him from the spell in a day or so. But it’s best you’re all a good way away in case Merlin sends someone for us, or comes himself. Also: don’t tell me what you’ve found out today, or if you’re going to suggest a new plan to king lot. If Merlin finds me I don’t know that I’ll be able to stop him reading my mind.’