Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Siege of Tintagel

The atmosphere in the fleet was tense as we passed through the channel between Britain and Gaul. As soon as the white cliffs appeared on the starboard side the flagship ordered us to bear east, in case any of Arthur’s ships were patrolling the British coast. A few days later, King lot ordered the mass of the fleet to put in at a great natural harbour on the south coast, which, unusually for that part of country, had no castle, only a town built around the remains of a Roman villa. King Lot sent a boat to the shore, and the report came back that, although few ships had been spotted, a muster had been called more than three weeks before, and Arthur had already moved on Tintagel.

‘Sir Breuse never sent us word of that,’ said Agravaine, when he and Palomina came back from a council on the flagship.

‘Father will have done,’ Bellina told him. She was sincere in that belief.

‘Perhaps his messenger arrived at Orkney after we set sail,’ said Melwas.

‘So what’s the plan?’ asked Piers.

‘I have volunteered this ship to scout the seas around Tintagel,’ said Palomina. ‘They are less likely to feel threatened by a lone Saracen vessel; they should think us traders rather than a ship of war. And if they do take fright we are fast enough to outrun them. I need the rest of you to move to another ship. If – and it is an unlikely if – we are boarded they would be suspicious to find so many white faces aboard.’

‘Free of chains, anyway,’ said John bitterly.

Palomina inclined her head. Over the past week John had occasionally made glancing references to the Saracen trade in slaves, but this was the first time he’d said anything in Palomina’s presence. ‘My father does not involve our family in that trade, John, and some would argue that the British method of conquest and occupation of foreign lands is tantamount to slavery. At least our slave traders grant their property rights; the peoples conquered by the British should be so fortunate.’

John looked away from her. ‘I’ve never conquered anyone,’ he said under his breath.

‘And I have never enslaved another,’ said Palomina sternly, staring directly at the older man.

A tense silence fell on the room, which was broken by Melwas. ‘As Palomina has volunteered to go by sea, I will scout by land. We will be able to see how Arthur’s forces are disposed. Elia, I’d like you to come with me, to see what you can hear – that is, so to speak.’

‘Aye, chum. No bother,’ said the bard.

‘I-I-I-I-I-I’ll come t-to, if y-you’ll have me. I-I-I-I’ll be able to s-sense what they have in the w-way of m-m-m-m-magic.’

‘Many thanks, Drift,’ said Melwas.

Palomina didn’t meet my eye.

* * *

Unencumbered by the rest of the slow fleet, emptied of the vast majority of its human cargo and helped by a good wind, Palomina’s ship sliced through the waves along the south coast of Britain. This was the most fertile trading ground for her people, and she knew this coastline better than any other part of the island.

Shortly before we were due to disembark, Melwas disappeared below decks for a good long while. When she returned she came with a dust-covered Mordred, blinking into the daylight. ‘What?’ he said grimly, when he saw mine and Elia’s astonished faces. ‘You didn’t think I was really going to let you all put yourselves in danger and stay out of it myself, did you?’ He gave me a particularly significant look. I did not respond.