Chapter 6: Heated

Virgil woke up a couple hours later, frowning when he realized Patton wasn't there. He sat up and rubbed his eyes. "Pat?" There wasn't a response. He got out of bed and went into the living room, looking around. He picked up a note on the coffee table.
Good morning sleepy head. Roman and I are going grocery shopping, and then I'll probably be going clothing shopping for us afterwards. I'll be home around 5:00 probably, but don't worry if I'm out later than that. Sorry for not bringing you with me, but you looked so cute sleeping and I didn't want to wake you. Have a good day and remember to eat. -Patton .
Virgil relaxed as he read the note, smiling softly to himself. He set it back down and went into the kitchen. He started making himself some scrambled eggs, since apparently it had been a few hours since he'd eaten and he'd only had toast then anyways. The house was pleasantly quiet, since Patton and Roman were out and Logan was probably still in his room. Virgil quickly made the eggs and put them on a plate. He grabbed the ketchup and sat down, putting what Roman would call an 'ungodly heap' of ketchup onto his eggs.
He ate his eggs in silence, then cleaned up. He watched tv for a bit, but that quickly got boring without anyone else to watch it with. He stood up and began heading to his room.
The second he reached the hallway, he froze. His pupils expanded to nearly his entire iris, and his hands trembled. His entire body was reacting to the scent that filled the hallway, a scent every alpha would be able to recognize regardless of how good their scent was or whether they'd ever even smelt it before.
It was a sweet smell, like lemon. Logan's scent specifically, if it was intensified by a thousand, but more than that...
An omega in heat.
    Virgil slowly followed the scent to Roman and Logan's room, standing outside the door. The scent intruding upon everything in the area, it would be overwhelming if it was any other scent. As it were, Virgil's biology highly agreed with the scent, he was drawn to it. If he wasn't already mated he'd already be in the room, claiming whoever was emitting the scent as his own.
    He quietly opened the door. Logan had made a nest on the bed out of the covers and Roman's clothing. He lay on the bed, writhing and whimpering. He was wearing one of Roman's shirts, though it didn't appear he was wearing much else. He looked towards the door as the scent of an alpha reached him, eyes meeting Virgil's.
Virgil's body trembled as he forced himself to close the door, running into the living room. He lit all the candles in the living and dining rooms and even managed to light some incense Patton had bought months ago but never used. Despite his efforts, the scent of an omega in heat continued to force its way into every corner of their living space. What was Roman thinking, leaving  an unclaimed omega in heat alone?
    In all likelihood, Virgil would be able to control himself despite the scent even without his extra precautions, seeing as he was already mated. But he didn't want to take any risks, since his mate was an alpha and he wasn't sure if that would affect his responses to Logan's scent in any way.
    Was that what omegas in heat looked like? Virgil was very glad he'd mated an alpha if that were the case. Poor Logan looked as if he was being tortured by some invisible force. Virgil couldn't even be happy he was right, not when Logan was in pain like that.
    Virgil sat on the couch for about an hour, hoping Patton would come home soon. Virgil could go get his phone, but he was too afraid of walking past their door again. He jumped up when he heard the front door opening. He held his breath for a moment, then Roman walked in, coughing slightly. "What the-" Roman made it into the entryway. "How many fucking candles are-"
    He froze, dropping the groceries onto the ground. Virgil looked at him, then anger suddenly flared up in his chest. "You lied to us." He growled.
    Roman looked at him, desperation etched onto his features. "Virgil, I-" He looked to the hallway.
Virgil took a step closer to him. "Why would you lie?"
Roman looked at him. "Please, Virgil, I'm sorry. I need to see him, I-"
"You lied! You lied about his class, why he smelt so weird, everything!"
Roman held his hands up. "Please. I'll explain, I promise, you'll never have to see us again, just let me take care of him!"
Virgil watched him closely. If Roman really wanted to, he could easily push Virgil out of the way, or punch him, or even toss him over the couch. But instead he stood there, pleading. Virgil sighed and looked down.
"Sure, whatever." He moved out of the way.
Roman looked at him for a moment, then ran past him, sprinting to where Logan was. Virgil sighed and laid on the couch, curling up into himself. He needed Patton to come home soon.