ten. seven eleven

CHAPTER TEN (&) SEVEN ELEVEN

"I think my Spidey Senses are tingling

"I think my Spidey Senses are tingling."

✧・゚: *✧・

           CONNOR AND BAILEY had a new sort of attitude as they traveled through the endless barren cornfields of Nebraska, and into rockier terrain as they veered closer and closer to Colorado. The air around them was light-hearted, coated in the sort of odd warmth that covered Camp Half Blood. Maybe they were reinvigorated to finish the quest; maybe they were getting used to being friendly with each other; or maybe the both of them had simply had one too many Redbulls.

                   "Hey Stoll, just so we're on the same page, you're actually meant to stop at stop signs." Bailey chirped, her feet on the dash and her hand slipped through the half-cracked window, letting a fraction of the chilled air into the car.

                   "We haven't seen another car for 20 miles at least, Bailey. I think we'll be okay." The boy shrugged, "Besides, if a cop pulls us over we'll just give 'em the old 1-2. Spear and sword style."

                   "Brutality against police," Bailey murmured. "Cool." She returned her vision to the passenger side window, observing the tops of the evergreen trees that framed the road.

"The last exit sign said there was a 7-11 in the nearest town, you want to stop?" Connor asked. Bailey went to nod, but before she could, she was halted by a shiver running down her spine. She paused, looking at Connor wordlessly, "What?" He yet again questioned. She didn't really have an answer— there wasn't anything particularly bone chilling about 7-11's, besides maybe knowledge of how little they cleaned their restrooms.

"I don't— I don't know, I think my Spidey Senses are tingling or something. Let's stop."

                     "Alright, I wasn't aware I was in the presence of a superhero."

"Be more observant," Bailey shrugged, a slight grin growing on her face— though she still felt an odd pit in her stomach. Something in her gut was telling her that the 7-11 Ava chugged ever closer to was different to the dozens they had passed on their road-trip. Maybe the thought should have scared her, but in typical demigod fashion she was more curious than anything else.

✧・゚: *✧・

                     Bailey's instincts were right. That became clear as they pulled into the 7/11– where two mortals were having their smoke break, oblivious to the looming presence of a brutish monster, thanks to the veil. They couldn't make out exactly what it was with the sun shining so heavily, but it stood at nearly twice the height of the gas station. Even in the car, Bailey could feel the shake of the ground as the monster shuffled its feet. She wasn't sure if she was annoyed or relieved that she didn't have much fear left for monsters like that.