Investigation

An abandoned building, late at night.

"This is the place?" Touma is observing the sign in front of the building. "You'd think there'd be reporters or cops sitting by."

"The police said to stay away from this place. It seems dangerous."

The two walk to the front door. Touma tries turning the knob.

"No good, it's locked," Touma observes. "That's weird. Who'd lock the door?"

Misaka sees a broken window.

"We can get in through there."

Moonlight reflects off some broken glass. Sweeping some aside, the two jump through the window and end up in an empty room. There's a slow creak that didn't come from Misaka or Touma.

"Someone might be here," Touma says with a whisper. "Still got that knife?"

Misaka takes out Shulk's knife. The two stick close, back-to-back. Radar waves from Misaka scan the room.

"Can you see anything, Misaka?" Touma whispers.

There's something closing in from Misaka's right.

"Something's coming..! Look out!"

A tall creature jumps at Misaka.

"It's a Telethia!" Misaka yells aloud.

"We need to run!" Touma calls to Misaka. She gives an agreeing nod.

The Telethia charges Touma, who braces to get hit, but nothing happens.

Misaka shot a coin through the Telethia, who was too focused on Touma to read Misaka.

"Thanks, Misaka. I owe you..." Touma says as the Telethia falls.

Misaka feels like blushing but holds it back.

"You don't owe me anything."

The three walk into a room with a large circle, and an odd symbol behind it. Misaka notices multiple dead bodies.

"They're dead?" Touma checks the people for a pulse, but there is none. Misaka is taking pictures of the scene.

"We'd better go, I think we've got the pics we need, Touma."

"Got it. Man, I'm tired..."

Misaka feels something strange. Her eyes go blue again, and she sees a Telethia attack Touma in the side.

It happened again. What is this?

"Touma, look out!" Misaka yells.

Touma looks to his side and sees the incoming Telethia.

"Oh, just my luck." He faces the flying Telethia and prepares to get hit. But the attack doesn't hit. Shulk stands in front and is blocking the Telethia's claws.

"Out of the way, Touma!"

Touma dashes to the side near the Telethia's foot. Shulk strikes at the foot, but the large wound heals.

"What the hell?" Touma yells in an astonished tone.

"The Telethia have a regenerative factor that can't be dealt with without the full strength of the Monado," Shulk explains. "We need to wear it down so I can take it down."

Shulk and Touma quickly dodge an incoming swing from the Telethia.

"This is one of the primary Telethia," Shulk continues. "It was able to create spawn, which raided the city earlier."

"It's not falling, what do we do?" Misaka says.

"Focus your efforts on the antennae!" Shulk responds. "I'll look for an opening!"

"But I can't reach them!"

"Try and think outside the box, Misaka."

Misaka looks around.

Nothing. Except..?

Misaka sees a stumped Touma, who's standing around.

"I might as well try," Misaka mumbles. "Touma! give me a lift!"

"Huh?"

"Use your hands as a trampoline or something!"

"You wanna flip?"

"NO! Gimme a boost!"

"Oh. Right then!"

Misaka gets a running start and launches herself off Touma's hands. She slashes at the Telethia's antennae and cuts them off. Misaka lands softly on the ground.

"Finish it Shulk!" Misaka yells.

Shulk activates the Monado and sends a green shockwave into the Telethia, which promptly implodes. The three breathe easy.

"Now, with that aside, why are you two outside? Shouldn't you be asleep right now?" Shulk asks.

"Well, we were kind of worried about you and wanted to help you get home," Touma answers.

"We found this facility to get data on how you got here, and try to get you home with that knowledge," Misaka adds.

"You could've asked me to help. It's not like you could have hidden it. I saw a vision of this place and wanted to check it out. When I noticed Touma was missing, I knew something happened. Next time, tell me when you guys want to do something."

"We'd better head home and get some rest. I think I've had enough fighting for a day," Touma sighs.

"Agreed," Misaka says.

The party sneaks out of the building. Once again, Shulk and Touma part ways with Misaka. She walks to the dorms, and the other two walk to Touma's dorm.

Walking home, Touma asks Shulk a question.

"I'm beat," Touma whines. "Y'know, with all this fighting, what are you gonna do while I'm out for school?"

"I could probably watch over Index. She shouldn't cause too much trouble."

"You don't know what she's capable of..." Touma says worriedly. "That's not my biggest worry, though. With my luck, someone's hunting you down. They probably knew who you are before you've even seen their face. I think it'd be better for you to come with me to school."

"That's a nice offer," Shulk begins, "but I'm nineteen."

"Eh, you look about as tall as a high schooler. If I give you a uniform, you'll pass as a transfer student," Touma reasons. "If anyone asks, you're sixteen."

"I'm beginning to doubt how crafty you are..."

End of Chapter 4.