System Scan

Touma's high school, July 16

"The System Scan?"

From the classroom window, Shulk looks around the schoolyard. It's dotted with random equipment, tents, and even an ambulance.

"Yeah, it's a yearly thing," Touma answers casually. "Kinda like a test of strength, for espers. It's your chance to show off."

The pair walk out of the classroom, then out of the building. In front of Shulk are specialized tents for each type of ability. Pyrokinesis, Super Strength, and the one Shulk is slated to visit: Precognition.

Turning to Touma, Shulk voices his worries.

"I'm not sure if they'll let me use the Monado."

Touma thinks for a second.

"If the Monado is a 'part' of you, then they'll allow it. It's like your ability in a way. You're probably fine."

"Sounds good. I'll do my best. See you later, Touma!"

Shulk walks to the Precognition tent, as Touma sighs.

"I hate these tests..."

Inside the tent

The teacher greets Shulk as he sits down. Shulk notes that the tent is relatively empty, aside from a deck of cards and

"Ah, Sharaku! Nice to see you decided to take the System Scan!"

"Hi, sensei!"

"Well then, let's see..." The teacher flips through some papers. "You wrote on your form that you had a precognition esper ability? It's good to see you found the right tents, did Touma help you?"

"Yeah, I was a bit lost."

"Now, Sharaku, I'm only able to say this once. I will draw a card from this deck, and you will tell me what symbol it has as quickly as possible. You studied what symbols they are, right?"

"Yep. I'm ready."

The teacher reaches for the deck, and Shulk's eyes flash blue.

"Square."

Staring, the teacher reprimands Shulk.

"Sharaku, I didn't pull the card yet," the teacher says, disappointed. "Don't just blindly guess."

The teacher looks at the card he pulled and confirms with his own eyes that the card was the square.

"It might have been a lucky guess. Well done, however."

Once again, the teacher reaches for the deck, and Shulk rapidly calls out the right answer. Another five times, each thoroughly shuffling the cards, and the teacher is sure.

"Sharaku?"

Shulk perks up at the calling of his name. The teacher nods to himself.

"You are a precognition esper."

Shulk is brought to another area, which has a basketball hoop, an advisor, and a different teacher. A few other students look at him. Wishing him luck, the teacher leaves the area.

The advisor takes note of Shulk's arrival and speaks with him.

"Ah, so you're the next student. Here, you will try to describe as much about what will happen here as possible, and as detailed as possible. You have thirty seconds of time to predict. The timer starts, now."

Shulk focuses, and his eyes glow blue. Shulk then immediately whispers in the teacher's ear, who writes what he says.

"He'll shoot four balls, and only one will make it. The third one. He'll stumble trying to grab a ball after the first ball. The second ball bounces over the wall. The fourth ball will bounce back at him, and he manages to catch it, saying 'That was close!'. Two birds fly by."