The Aftermath

A street in Academy City, near Kamijou Touma's apartment block.

The dark sky shines with stars you wouldn't expect to see in a huge city. After arriving at Tokiwadai for evacuation, Misaka found out that Kuroko would be out of the hospital in less than a week. She offered to walk Touma and Shulk back to Touma's apartment, where Touma had agreed he could let Shulk stay.

"Welp, this is our stop," Touma gasps, exhausted. "See you soon, Biri-Biri."

Touma waves off Misaka, as he and Shulk walk away. Interrupting the silence, Misaka pipes up.

"Touma, are you sure Shulk can stay at your place for the night?"

She turns her eyes to Shulk, who stopped walking.

"I could give you some money for you to stay at a hotel if you need to," Misaka offers.

Patting her thigh, she quickly remembers the Tokiwodai uniforms lack pockets. A soft blush covers Misaka's cheeks, as she continues patting despite the wasted efforts. A sigh escapes Touma, and Shulk laughs.

"It's fine, Touma made up his mind," Shulk affirms. "Don't worry so much. Besides, I wouldn't want you getting into any trouble. You should hurry before your curfew ends."

"Fine, I guess." Misaka frowns, then waves at the two. "See you around, Shulk. Bye, Touma."

A reminder resurfaces in Shulk's mind.

"Wait. I have something to give to you, Misaka."

Shulk looks in his knapsack and pulls out a knife.

"What's that?" Touma says.

"It's a gift from my girlfriend back home."

"Ah, so you have a girlfriend. Must be nice," Touma frowns.

Misaka blushes, but scolds Touma.

"You'd have one if you weren't such a slob!"

"Oi! I'm not the slob. Index is." Touma begins walking away.

Shulk chuckles.

"I think you'll need that knife more than I will. Keep it."

"Whatever you say." Misaka looks intently at the knife. Wait, where is she supposed to keep this?

Shulk and Misaka go their separate ways. Touma is a few feet ahead, and Shulk runs to his side.

"I don't know if people are going to feel safe if they see someone dressed like you with a big sword like that," Touma explains. "I've had a bunch of bad luck with people knocking on my door, so do you think you could fit it in my closet? I have a set of clothes you could probably use."

"The Monado's appearance is an illusion, so actually," Shulk holds the Monado in front of him, and it shrinks considerably. It turns into a necklace-like ornament, and Shulk puts it on his neck. "I can just form it how I choose. This shouldn't cause too much of a problem, I hope."

"Whoa, how did you do that?" Touma asks, surprised.

"The Monado conforms to the will of its master, letting me choose how it appears. With that, I can choose what it can cut through, too. If I could think of my enemy, the power to defeat them would be mine. That is the power of the Monado."

"All that packed into one sword, huh?" Looking at his mysterious right hand, Touma brings up a question. "Does that mean if you thought of my right hand, you could surpass my Imagine Breaker?"

"I wouldn't know unless I tried. Earlier, when we were fighting those Telethia, I couldn't see visions. I have to break through your power to even see visions for me and Mikoto. Even then, I couldn't see visions for you."