Chapter 4 - Behind The Scenes

Start from the beginning

"What happened?" I asked, as gently as I could. She stared at me and her silence unsettled me. She opened her mouth and closed it again. She did it for a few minutes, acting like a gaping fish.

Then she asked, "that... That boy you were fighting earlier. What was his name?"

I was confused. Did Long mess something up again? I answered, "Jake Long. Why?"

"What was he?" Sun asked, disregarding my question. I frowned. Sun knew I didn't like being ignored. She waited patiently for my answer, and I sighed in defeat.

I looked around again to see if we were truly alone, and in a faint whisper, I said, "he's the American Dragon."

The door flung open and the nurse smiled when she saw Sun awake. "Hello, dear," she greeted as she approached the bed. "How are you? Does anything hurt?"

Sun and the nurse filled out a few forms and the nurse left to call Sun's mom. "I should get going," I said and turned to leave. She grabbed my wrist and pulled me towards the bed.

The look in her eyes gave me shivers. Her regular joyous emeralds were like cold aluminum. "Don't let anything hurt him." I was confused. I asked why, but she only shook her head and refused to give me any answers. I didn't push on and left her to the nurse's care.

I went to the lunch table and joined the other A-lists at our usual table. They were messing about and talked about regular things. Dill called for my attention and I lamely responded. He had a knowing smirk on his face, like when he has a plan to prank someone. It would normally backfire, so if he was going to invite me to prank someone, I would immediately decline.

"You know that new kid? The New Yorker?" Dill asked, leaning on the table as if he was sharing a secret with the rest of the group. I frowned, not liking where this was going.

"What are you planning?" I asked. During my time here in Norrisville High, I took the time to get to know the A-lists. Most of them were decent, but there are always those like Dill who could not take a hint and just kept messing around. He drags others into trouble and the numerous warning he gets from teachers and his peers were always shrugged off.

Dill gave me his signature "bad boy" look. "I plan to... Mess with the new kid after school."

I slammed my utensil on the table, making the furniture shudder underneath the sudden force. I glared at the raven-haired boy and gave him a solid, "no."

"What?" Dill asked. I replied again with another no and even spelled it out for his stupid pea-sized brain. To Dill, "mess" means beat up until blood started to spill from his victim's mouth. Sun just told me to not let anything happen to Jake, and even though he is nothing but an annoyance, I do not hate him that much that I completely disregard Sun's request and let Dill toy with him.

Dill stared at me with disbelief but the confusion in his eyes morphed into anger. "Why not?" Dill asked. I eyed his shaking fist above the table ang hardened my glare. "That kid wronged you, Nigel. You're a fellow A-list and that New Yorker needs to learn his place."

I was about to retort, but another robot came punching its way in. I evacuated with the rest of the students, and I could faintly hear the ongoing fight behind me. I sighed as I resumed another day of Norrisville life.

On the second day, the first thing I noticed were the whispers running around the halls.

"Have you heard? Someone saw students fighting after school."

"My friend said it was Masters's group plus new kid vs. the A-lists."

"What? No fair."

"No, I think it was only Dill and his buddies."