Chapter Three

Nagmano ako kay Uncle at saka ngumiti. "Good morning, Uncle."

Uncle smiled back at me before he lowered his eyes onto the tote bag I was holding. Itinaas ko pa ang dala ko para makita niya.

He returned his gaze at me.

"Nandiyan ba si Amity, Uncle?"

Tumango siya at gumilid para lumawak ang space sa may pintuan. I went inside and took a glimpse of Auntie on the kitchen nook preparing something. Maybe she's preparing snacks for me and her daughter.

Tingin ko ay hindi naman na kailangan dahil marami na akong dalang pagkain para sa aming dalawa.

Inihatid ako ni Uncle sa may kusina para harapin si Auntie. I badly want to know where was Ami and spend time with her already, but I guess I have to wait.

I need to do some talking with them, which is uncomfortable for me. I don't want to but I guess I should. Ayaw kong maging bastos sa harapan nila.

Tipid akong ngumiti kay Tita nang makita niya ako at saka nagmano. She handed me the sandwich she made that I gladly accepted. "Kainin niyo iyan mamaya. Nasa kuwarto lang siya. Kung puwede, palabasin mo siya sa kuwarto niya. Doon na yata siya tumitira." She ended it with a laugh. Si Uncle ay nangingiti lang at wala ng reaksiyon.

Kimi lang ako na ngumiti. That was... impossible. We could literally stay in a room and won't give a fuck to whatever was outside. We were already sick of what's happening outside and find comfort with our personal space.

Magalang akong nagpaalam para magtungo sa kinaroroonan ng kuwarto ni Ami. I knocked first before I entered. I didn't wait for her approval to come in, she might not have heard me. For sure, may nakalagay na naman sa tenga niya.

And I was right. I saw her intently looking at her laptop, may nakakabit na earphones sa tenga niya. She's seriously picking another playlist to listen, like what she usually does.

Ibinaba ko ang hawak kong mga gamit at pagkain sa table. Hindi niya napansin iyon.

I stepped lightly towards her, making sure that she won't feel my presence. Nang medyo makalapit, I jumped on her bed, frightening her.

Hindi naman ako natatakot na magalit siya, dahil hindi naman mangyayari iyon. She just laughed. Ako naman ay inusog siya at sinolo ang laptop niya.

Why does she choose from a hundred playlists when Taylor's songs were already enough?

Nang pindutin ko ang unang album, tinanggal ko sa pagkakasalpak ang earphone niya at inilapag sa table. Hindi ako nahiga o tumayo. I drag her to stand on the mattress instead and let us dance like crazy, kahit na parehong kaliwa ang paa namin. We moved the the beat of "You Belong With Me."

We laughed as we sat when we got tired of  being a fool for a couple of minutes. I smiled when I saw her smile. I think I did a great job today.

Si Mahli Amity, bestfriend ko. She's my favorite of all my friends, pero hindi ko iyon sasabihin sa kanila. Ayaw ko lang na may marinig akong reklamo. I could bring out the crazy in me whenever I'm with her because I'm comfortable around her. Iyong mga interests and hobbies, gayang-gaya namin ang isa't isa. I could literally see myself to her, everything. And I'm afraid, even what was inside of her. And I'll do everything to save her, something I never did to myself.

Kinuha ko ang tote bag na dala ko at inilabas ang mga dala ko. The book Alek lent me and some canvasses and gouache paint. Hindi na ako nagdala ng mga paintbrush dahil alam kong mayroon sa kanya.

"What do you want to do today? Read a book or paint?"

"Paint," she replied immediately.

Tumango ako at kinuha ang dalawang maliit na easel na nasa table. I leaned our canvasses there and started our painting.