3.0

Dani

After that day, we haven't really talked much. Still the same old routine. I come out on weekdays, he comes out, we wave, and sometimes a 'hey'.

On weekends, I sit near my window and read, every so often looking at his house, watching people go in and out completely drunk. Sometimes I wonder if things were different and it was me as the more 'outgoing' one...if I might even the slightest bit have a chance.

I like myself, don't get me wrong, but Luke talks about how fun and alive he feels. He talks about how being a teenager is what life's about. I just feel safer when I keep to myself.

What I always thought was kinda weird, is that Calum's room is literally across from mine. I'm not a stalker, promise, but I do see him sometimes. Either with a girl or playing his guitar and once when he was freaking out. I think he was having a panic attack or something.

My phone rings. Looking at the screen, a picture of my best friend Ally shows up. "Yes?"

"You should come next door." She giggles, obviously tipsy. Although I admire her ability to take down any guy at a drink off, I do disapprove.

"Um...I'm actually in bed, like about to sleep," I fake yawn, "don't think I can come."

"Liar. I see you right now." I put the phone down slowly and look out my window. There she was with my brother. They give me a wave and I slowly wave back.

"I really don't want to go." I look at her as she leans on my brother. He's holding a red cup and smirking at me.

"Pleaseeeee? I think you need to come get me, Dani, I'm really out of it." She stutters a bit.

"Seriously, Ally?" I shake my head.

"Please? I think I'm gonna..." She runs to a bush and throws up. Luke stands there watching her, amused. He waves me over and hangs up the phone.

Sighing, I put on my shoes and contemplate whether or not my outfit's suitable enough. I am just going to get her, so I didn't need anything too fancy.

I take a deep breath before entering the unknown territory. Please don't embarrassing yourself. I carefully walk through the crowd of people, hoping not to grab too much attention. Thankfully, I didn't.

Looking around, I see many many people grinding and making out. This was definitely not my scene. It's way too raunchy.

"Dani!!" Ally stumbles over to me, giving the biggest hug in the world.

"Wow, Al, you've really outdone yourself, huh?" I giggle looking at my best friend. I help her keep her balance while she plays with my hair. "We should really go..."

"Leaving already?" Calum crosses his arms and smirks, giving me subtle butterflies.

"Yeah, I think you have enough drunken people at your party." I bite the inside of my lip, hoping he would laugh.

He does, "Well I think you're right."

"I really should get her home, though." I nod to Ally. She smiles giddily and nods back.

"Here, I'll give you a hand." He takes her other arm. I nod, leading him back to my house.

"You guys are sooo nice. I love you guys." Ally rambles, causing Calum and I to both laugh.

"Thanks, Ally." He responds carefully opening my back door. We lay her on the couch and I place a blanket over her, telling her to sleep. She mumbles a few things before falling asleep.

I follow Calum back to my door. He shoves his hands in his pockets and looks around. "Man, I haven't been here for ages."

I smile to myself. "Yeah it's been awhile, huh?"

He takes a few steps and picks up a picture frame. "Oh don't look at..." I start to say before it's too late. He looks at the picture and laughs softly.

"You wore pigtails everyday," he sets it down, "you grew up gorgeously, Dani." He gives me grin.

"You remember my name.." I say dumbfounded. It was hard to believe that Calum Hood remembered me, seeing as though we haven't really talked in years.

"Of course, we were in the same kindergarten class. How could I not remember?"

"Well...I just thought..." I rub my neck and bite my lip.

"Dani, you've been my neighbor for 11 years. It would be pretty douche baggish not to know your name." He jokes around. I laugh at him a little.

"You're not drunk, right?" I ask

"No, I don't drink." He leans against the wall.

"So, you throw parties every weekend and watch everyone else get drunk." I eye him carefully.

"Yeah, it's actually kinda funny.." He smirks, "does that make me a bad person?"

"Kinda." I lean against my counter, giggling at him.

"Hey now...don't be harsh." He warns in a playful tone. It was hard to believe that this was actually real. Calum is standing in my kitchen and we were talking, just like kindergarten.

His phone rings and as he pulls it out he rolls his eyes. "Ugh, hey, babe."

My smile then fades. Of course, he and Karly still date. I guess they're on, again. That's the way it's always been. On then off and on then off. Sometimes I wonder why he goes back. She's the one who always hurts him and it makes me sick.

"Ugh, yeah. Okay bye." He hangs up.

"You should probably get back to your party." I say quietly.

"Um, yeah." He slowly walks over to the door. I follow him a bit until we reach the patio. "That was nice, Dani."

"What do you mean..." I ask as he walks away. He turns around to say, "Talking to you." He gives me one last smile before leaving.

"Yeah, it was."