Chapter 9

I love him - he breaks my heart over and over, but I love him

________________________________

I wasn't the first to arrive at the cornucopia, but I wasn't the last either.

I picked up a bag from the ground. My knives were in the back of the cornucopia given that the game makers wanted to play games with me. Cato's sword was back there as well, since we both got the highest scores. Sorry, second highest score thanks to Katniss.

A boy had gotten there first, grabbing them. My knives are the only weapons I can use to protect myself. I'm going to have to put up a fight to get them. He set eyes on me and threw a knife. I ducked quickly, and the knife sunk into someone who was behind me with plans to kill me. The scary part was I didn't even hear him.

I guess that's my first lesson, always watch your back.

When I looked back at the boy who was in the process of taking my knives, he was on the ground.

Marvel had killed him.

I jogged up to him, checking our backs to make sure no one was coming. I grabbed the rest of the knives from the boys hand. I held it tightly as I slowly walked out of the cornucopia. I looked around to find Cato stabbing a girl repeatedly.

No.

I had to look away, squeezing my eyes shut. The screams that I could hear will haunt me in my nightmares.

"Come on," Marvel says, grabbing onto my wrist. He threw his spear  second or so later, and it lodged itself through one of the bigger boys. I was sick to my stomach. I didn't want to kill anyone. All I could smell was fresh blood, and all I could hear were screams and the sound of weapons entering human flesh.

I felt someone tackle me suddenly. I landed with a thud on the ground. I somehow got on my back and the boys hands went to my neck. I kicked as hard as I could and got one of my arms loose. I punched him across the face and pain immediately shot down my arm. He squeezed tighter. I kneed him in the balls and got out from under him. I gasped of air and stood up.

"Finish him!" I heard someone scream.

My eyes set on Cato a couple of feet away, staring at the two of us. There was no one else in the field anymore besides the bodies. I stared down at the boy still trying to catch my breath.

He was the same age as me. He has a family. A future.

My feet were swooped out from underneath me. I landed on the ground again and his sword scraped my cheek. He held the sword to my throat and the only thing that could be heard was the two of us out of breath.

Suddenly a spear shot through his body. He collapsed onto me. My breathing became uneven as I couldn't lift myself out from underneath this boy's lifeless body. I panicked and started pushing it and squirming. The rest of the Career's arrived seconds later and Marvel pulled the guy off of me. He helped me up and pulled his spear out of his body.