Chapter 5

I was silently thankful for Roland teaching me how to throw knives

I was silently thankful for Roland teaching me how to throw knives. Without him, I'd be already dead - just like the other tributes here.

________________

"Chase! Where's my knife!" I stood up from the fire starting station to see Cato completely disobeying the rules. I rolled my eyes and brushed my hands off. "I put my knife right there and now it's gone!" He pushed the boy from six harshly.

"Don't touch me," The boy from six snapped back. He pushed Cato back bravely. I found Marvel at the spear station and shook my head. Everyone was staring, including the game makers. Although I couldn't tell if they were enjoying this or not. Cato continued to push the kid. "I didn't take your knife!"

"Yes you did you fucking liar!" Peacekeepers were breaking up the two kids, and pulling Cato away from the boy from six. "Actually better yet, I'll wait for the arena," Cato snapped at him.

I turned around not even wanting to watch the situation anymore. He's gonna threaten to kill the kid because he took his knife? Cato can't even really throw knives. At least not accurately.

"The kid didn't take his knife," Marvel said with a chuckle. I looked back at him to find him pointing up. I looked up into the ceiling to see the small young girl with pig tails holding Cato's knife laughing quietly. She was from eleven, she was the one who had that strong-looking partner. I smiled.

"You're the first one I get in there so watch your back," Cato threatened and walked away from the kid.

"He's such a drama queen," I said with a laugh. Marvel chuckled and picked up one of the spears. I watched him balance it to make it parallel to the ground. He threw the spear from forty yards away and it hit the center of the target. I raised my eyebrows and he smiled cockily.

"Why the surprised look on your face Two?" He asked and picked up another.

"I just didn't expect.." Marvel chuckled.

"You're gonna underestimate me?" I smiled, he was joking.

"It's so heavy," I said and picked up the spear.

"Not like your knives huh?" I rolled my eyes. He laughed.

Cato walked by the two of us mumbling something angrily. I watched him pick up a sword and started to swing it around at all the dummies that were placed in a circle. He slit the dummies throat, causing the head to fall off, knocked another's arm off and stabbed the last one. Marvel and I exchanged glances.

Glimmer was next door at the bow and arrow station. She pulled the string back and didn't even try to line up the arrow to the center of the target. She missed again.

"You know it would help us out a lot if you could actually hit the target," I said. She glared at me.

"Shut up Two."