supernova {pt. 1} // will x alex

i didn't think much of it, the day that he showed up outside of my flat soaked from the rain and asked to stay the night. the couch was always free.

"i dunno man — i couldn't go home. reminded me of too much shit," will slurred, obviously tipsy if not flat out smashed. george just chucked some sheets and a duvet out into the corridor and left me to deal with him.

i smiled at will pitifully when he checked his phone to see no new messages. why would there be any? it had been a month. i observed his blank face from a distance whilst i shoved the duvet into the cover, not really knowing what to say. i wasn't good at emotions that weren't happy. giving into my horrendous social skills, i opted for a subject change: "don't worry about george if he comes in here later on, he always gets up for water. but maybe don't look in his direction. he usually just wears boxers," i chuckled in an attempt to lighten the mood.

"right," will nodded. "cheers al." he rubbed his hair furiously with a towel and sank down into the plush couch. i turned off the light and retreated back to my room. he was gone in the morning.

it was the same story two days later.

"alex, i'm sorry. i just... can't stay there. she's everywhere i look. she's fuckin' everywhere."

"will mate, it's ok. anything to help." the couch was filled for another night.

after that, he left it a week before knocking on our door again. in fact, he left it a week before even bothering acknowledging us at all.

"what the fuck happened will? we were fuckin' worried about you. not even a text?" i jabbed at his shoulder lightheartedly, but my voice conveyed a more serious message.

"i'm sorry, i'm sorry." his lidded eyes wandered around and his breathing was laborious. i wondered what he was on. "i'm sorry," he huffed like he'd completely given up.

"where were you?"

"around."

i sighed. "just stay here, ok? for a few days?"

he nodded deliriously, sinking down into the white sheets again.

the next night gave us a plot twist. will decided to cook himself, george and i dinner, which we ate while watching a shitty netflix show we weren't invested in at all — it more just provided the background noise. surprisingly, he was actually a decent cook.

"i promise i'll go tomorrow lads," will spoke in a confident manner i hadn't seen for a while.

"you don't have to, you know. we don't mind," george replied.

"yeah, it's fine," i added.

"nah, nah. i'll leave you guys to it. i can't avoid the flat forever. it's where i live for fucks sake."

"did she get her stuff yet?" george asked. i glanced quickly at will: he could have a fiery temper and i wondered if this question came too soon. george was a far braver man than i. will's chewing slowed and he placed his fork on his plate, but simply shrugged .

"few days ago i think. came home off me tits from a bender and her shit was gone. i left again pretty quickly though."

george nodded, polishing off his food. it was clear that he wanted to escape the conversation which seemed on the brink of descending into awkwardness. "that's good, at least there's some closure. i need to go and record a video, do you guys mind...?" he gestured to the plates and semi-catastrophic kitchen.

"yeah sure." i didn't mind being will's company.

"mhmm," will added, eyes fixated on a point in the centre of the table. when george shut the door to his room in the next twenty seconds, will still hadn't blinked once.