Chapter Twenty-Seven

"It'll be our little secret, okay?"

"Okay Mommy," Mel smiled at her mother's words.

"Go to sleep princess," Padme pulled Melanie into her arms as they laid together on the hospital bed, both content in their own little world.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Anakin leaned back against the wall, the abandoned wing once again serving some use to him. Whether it was his jumbled mind or reality, it seemed like things couldn't get any worse.

Padme didn't remember him whatsoever.

Melanie was cursed with the force just like him.

Luke and Leia are missing without a trace.

"Mother Goddess," His gloved hand ran over a tired, fatigued expression then through tangled, blonde locks. "What am I going to do?"

Rex came into the hall, silently walking towards Anakin with his helmet against his hip. From a distance, it looked as though the young sith lord was crying but up close, he looked as he was on the verge of losing it.

"I have a family to repair, lost children to find, an empire to build and lead," Anakin hung his head low, pulling his knees into his chest. "My wife doesn't remember me, my daughter is becoming more timid and less like herself... What am I going to do?"

Rex dropped his helmet next to the wall opposite of his brother, taking a seat there as he faced him. "From your perspective, things couldn't get any worse."

Anakin looked up at him, a few manly tears sliding down his cheeks.

"However," Rex continued once their eyes met. "From my perspective, you have two ways to go about this."

Anakin lightly sniffled, using his sleeve to wipe off the salty tears of weakness. "What are they?"

"One way is to continue being here; instead of trying to move forward, you keep your feet planted in this current nightmare. That means you continue dealing with shifty doctors, incompetent soldiers and a family that is on the thinnest ice possible."

Rex got up and crossed the short distance between them, taking a knee in front of Anakin. "The other option is to take this difficult situation by the horns and make it into the situation you want it to be. You can get some elite troops to track down Kenobi and his accomplices, get all three of your kids back on track as well as your wife and make your empire the greatest thing ever to take the galaxy by storm."

Anakin looked up at him, this newfound respect overcoming him as he stared back at his brother. Rex gave him a hand up which Anakin turned it into an excuse to give the man a hug.

"I know what I have to do."