Chapter Fifteen

"Absolutely not," Padme scowled at the jedi, holding her scowling daughter on one hip. "We are going alone and that is final!"

Obi-Wan had been trying to persuade Padme and Melanie to allow him on board to go see Anakin; he saw straight through the Naboo trip lie.

"Padme, think of the risk you're not only putting on yourself but also your daughter," He argued, his hands on his hips. "Not to mention the child you are carrying! What if he tries to hurt you?"

"My Daddy loves my Mommy," Melanie slipped down to stand in front of her mother. "He promised me he would protect us and he would never hurt us!"

"Melanie, you said it yourself the other day when I came to visit your mother," Obi-Wan knelt down in front of the small child, trying to be gentle. "You said that the 'Daddy' we all know and care about is gone; what do you have to say to that, Little One?"

Padme's nerves were frazzled at this point so she cut in, " That's enough. My daughter nor I have to explain anything to you and what she and I do is none of your concern. We are leaving now and you will not be coming with us!" With that, she picked Melanie up again and shut the ramp, leaving Obi-Wan on the landing platform.

"Two can play at this game, Senator..." He murmured to himself as he crossed the deck over to the opposite end where his cruiser awaited him. As he slid into the cockpit, Padme and Melanie took off which left Obi-Wan alone in his ship.

"R4," Obi-Wan acknowledged, adjusting his headset and tightening his restraints. "Lock onto Senator Amidala's ship, we are going to follow her."

The little astromech beeped and as soon as the signal was locked, he too flew away.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Meanwhile on the fiery surface of Mustafar, Palpatine and Anakin's personal squadron of clones were just landing near the base where Anakin sent his transmission.

"Lord Vader," Palpatine greeted with a cold smile. "I see your mission was a success here; this is most excellent... I have a gift for you as a token of my gratitude."

Vader tilted his head, his twisted mind filling with 'good' ideas as his master pulled out a lightsaber.

"As a token of my gratitude and as an award from my new empire," The crippled hand pushes the lightsaber out to Vader. "Take this new weapon and use it as you continue to serve me."

Vader took it from the old man, igniting the crimson blade. He admire its glow, swinging it around and flipping it over his head. Turning away from the emperor, Vader catches it with his eyes closed and plunges it backwards into something...

Rather impaling something, he ended up impaling someone...

As Vader summoned his new weapon to close, a thump was heard from the deck behind him.

"I serve no one," Vader's yellow-tinted eyes snapped open as he turned to face the squadron of clones behind him. "I am to be served; I am the New Emperor! Bow down to me!"

As a maniacal laugh escaped Vader's throat, the dozen clones including the navy-blue clad captain took a knee, bowing to him as he commanded.

"Hail, Emperor Vader!" The captain yelled as he stood and pumped a fist into the air. Soon the rest of the clones followed suit, pledging their allegiance to him.

An alarm began to sound from the imperial transport ship behind them. The clone captain hurried over to the scanners, trying to get a reading. "What's going on, Rex?" Vader had a sly smile on his face.

"A ship has just entered this sector; it appears to be a Nubian cruiser from what our scanners are saying..."

"Padme..." Vader soon began barked orders to the clones before turning and heading towards an empty landing pad below the deck they were on.