A secret to Hide

"Melissa Valentine?" Melissa turned to look at the man that was calling her name.  

"Yes that's me" She replied.  

"Good. Your horses have just arrived, sign here please". Melissa signed her name at the bottom of the sheet and followed the man outside to where two beautiful horses were being taken out of the cart.                                                                                                                                                               "They're beautiful" Melissa stared in awe. The first horse was a huge white stallion, standing proud, with his head held high. He was standing on the path outside the Inn. He had a long, tussled white mane and a small, but noticeable grey streak across his nose. Melissa watched as another, smaller horse was brought out. She was tiny in comparison to the white stallion. She had a silky chestnut coloured coat with a similar streak across her nose, but more white than grey. They were brother and sister, She was told. She stroked the beautiful mare before she called the stable hand, Chris, over to take the horses to their new home, in the stables only a few meters away from the Inn.                                                                                                                                                                 Melissa turned and stared at the petite blue and white cottage, which nearly one hundred years ago, had become an inn. Melissa loved working here, and been staring at the same beautiful Inn for the past five years. She had enjoyed looking at it even more, since becoming manager two years ago. Her best friend Ramona, co-owner of the lovely Inn called Bridgewater's, had employed Melissa as manager after completing her 3 year business course at the local community college. "Melissa" she heard her name being yelled at from inside the inn. It was Gary, one of the workers at Bridgewater's and one whom Melissa did not like. Gary was a stubborn man in his late thirties and had always made fun of Melissa for her small freckles that chose to sprinkle themselves across her nose.                                                                                                                                                             "What do you want Gary", Melissa called back.                                                                                       "There's a phone call for you", she heard him reply. Melissa walked past Gary, who was standing on the porch outside the Inn. As she walked past, Gary gave her a slap on her behind as she passed. She turned around, giving him her withering stare. Gary had not yet become used to Melissa being the Manager of Bridgewater's. She walked behind her desk to pick up the phone. "Hello, Bridgewater's Inn, Melissa speaking" she said, using her business tone.                              "So serious Melissa" She heard a hint of laughter in the speakers voice, Melissa identified as Ramona.                                                                                                                                                            "What's new" Melissa asked her friend.                                                                                                            "I just got a call from my brother, He's coming to Brisbane next week to look at the Inn, he says he's thinking about selling" Ramona sounded anxious at the latter.                                                              "He wants to WHAT!" Melissa screamed at the phone piece, noticing that almost everyone in the room had heard her, including Gary who let a small smile slip.                                                          "Calm down" Ramona said. "He's just coming to check up on things, nothings certain. I'm sure once he sees what you've done with the place, he won't dare try and sell it, you've made us a lot of money ya know". She spoke positively, however Melissa noticed a touch of anxiety in her voice. "Okay" Melissa calmed down. "So your brothers coming to town", changing the subject "How long has it been since you saw him" Melissa asked.                                                                                       "Well it's been about five years now, he moved to America just before you started working here, pity you never got to meet him. Although Daniel is very stubborn and has an ego the size of Australia" Ramona laughed. Melissa groaned, she hated men that loved themselves, and their sure were enough of them out there. Australia didn't need another one. "I'm sure you two will get on just fine" Ramona added. "But right now I have to go, still on for tonight" She asked hopefully.                       "We sure are" Melissa smiled to herself; she loved girls night out, more like girls night in when it came to Ramona.                                                                                                                                       "Movies and pizza at my place" She cheered. "Oh gotta go be there at seven" she added and hung up before Melissa had a chance to reply. Melissa put down the phone. Thoughts of what Ramona said about her brother wanting to sell the inn worried her but she soon put those thoughts aside, concentrating on tonight. Nothings certain right, Ramona's words echoed in her mind. Anyway Ramona did own half of Bridgewater's and she wouldn't do that to Melissa, besides Ramona loved this place, didn't she.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all:) In the process of editing at the moment so It's easier to read. So bear with me until then, it may take a wee bit. Anyway let me know what you think of the story, feedback would be greatly appreciated:)

Thanks, Tuala23