~22~

~Caroline~

All I'd managed that morning at the boutique was updating the hiring ad via online and posting a Now Hiring sign on the door. I was beginning to think I had no clue what I was doing, looking over those applications and conducting interviews. It all gave me a headache and made me emotional. Then I would have to deal with book keeping and ordering new merchandise. Could I do this? Deal with everything else going on and this?

At least the place had gotten a few costumers during my unproductive morning. And I made little to no contact with Nick, who occupied a corner chair, looking so long-faced. Wouldn't be surprised if the male didn't want anything to with me. How had Sol dealt with him? A written warning? A threat of termination? I doubted it.

Replacing Tobin with Nick as my "daily chaperone" was just a silent way of saying "I dare you to sneak around with my wife behind my back again. Go ahead." It was ridiculous...and dramatic. All the sneaking I was going to do from hear on out would involve no one but myself. But I could think about that later.

Right now, I was on the Fritz about the boutique situation and was near a mental breakdown when Tobin's all too familiar SUV parked in front of the shop near lunch time. I was going through every application again, for the hundredth time, sitting behind the counter in a stool. "Great." Just what I did not need. I slapped a folder closed and sent up a silent prayer just as Sol slid from the back seat and made his way up to the front doors.Nick was on his feet quickly. 

He'd really lost his damn mind in the last couple of days. As have you, Caroline. Everything from last night and this morning ran through my mind, as Nick held the door for him. God...he'd put some effort into choking me and I'd taken it. Just then my hand went to my throat and it took everything in me not to burst into tears.

Taken it. Had probably even gotten off on it. Why now? When every day in the past four years I'd barely let him run his finger down my throat. "Why do you look like you're about to cry, baby?" Oh. He was standing across the counter, frowning at me. Sexy as ever. For a heartbeat I was lost in those eyes. Took note of his Adam's apple as he swallowed hard, waiting for me to answer him.

I cleared my throat, willed those tears back and looked down at the folder I had closed. "Really, I just don't think I have any idea what I am doing, Sol," I puffed in frustration before spilling everything. By the end of it, Sol looked amused. "How is this funny?" I demanded and was convinced I just might shoot through the ceiling. 

My husband came around the counter to stand beside me, took the folder of applications and lifted his brow. "If I remember, I tried discussing these with you but you decided other things needed to be handled-" He was referring to the morning we'd gone to the bank and I'd jumped him in the back of Nick's SUV. I flushed from my neck all the way up to my scalp recalling that encounter. "-I can have Frances come look over the numbers here." 

"But doesn't she have enough to handle already?" Like figuring out where the hell some of the company's money was going to. That certain thief had yet to be found out. Sol was already looking over one application and didn't look away from them to answer me. 

"She won't mind. She's paid for a reason. Never hesitate to ask for help when it comes to business, Caroline. I don't need you stressing out with my babies inside of you." 

That had my brow popping but I held my tongue. He was right. He made me stressed out enough as it was. I slid from the stool and stepped around him to go to the retail floor. For the next fifteen minutes I straightened lingerie on racks and reorganized nylons that a customer has looked through. I made a mental note to go to the back before I left to see what Penny had gotten in the last delivery. At least I knew how to price things. If not I'd really just be fucked up one side and down the other.