Chapter 1

The SS woman, Mrs. Rivers, was talking, I was barely listening to her, then she touched my shoulder. I flinched, looking at her,
She said" We're here, darling." I grabbed my bag, unbuckling, I just came from the UK, from America... to Australia. I'm going to live with my dad, he's in a famous band or something. Calum Hood. We got out, I looked up at the same boring brick building, I hate these buildings, they're not fun at all and terrifying.
We walked inside,
She said" You can have a seat in my office, your father should be here soon." I nodded, following her to the office and I sat down," Would you like anything to eat or drink?" I shook my head," Okay, darling." I pulled the hood of my hoodie up,

I pulled my stopwatch up and listened to the ticking, as my heartbeat increased

I pulled my stopwatch up and listened to the ticking, as my heartbeat increased. I tapped my foot, then my eyes closed, I slumped a little bit, falling asleep.

I woke up to someone rubbing my shoulder, I opened my eyes, I saw Mrs. Rivers.
She said" He's here, darling." I nodded my head, I rubbed my eyes, blinking a few times. I turned my head and saw a man,
He said" Hi, I'm Calum." I waved my hand slightly,
" Mr. Hood, if you'd have a seat." He sat in the chair next to me," I'm Julia Rivers, and you've been in contact with us, correct?" 
" Yeah, I have."
" Do you know how Jasper came into your life?"
" They just said I was his last living relative."
" Well, Jasper's mom and twin sister were murdered by his stepfather. Jasper was handed over to his grandparents, who passed when their home caught on fire due to faulty wiring, while Jasper was inside, but Jasper got out with the help of his neighbor." Calum looked at me, I looked down, pulling my hood down more over my face.
" When did this all happen?"
" This year. You're this kid's last chance, Mr. Hood, he's been through enough, to have his remaining family push him away, would be terrible."
" I'd never do that. I had a daughter?"
" Yeah, Jasper and Allie, twins to Michelle Willian."
" Yeah."

After a while, stupid paper signings, and a lot of other stuff, we were able to leave.
Calum said" Are you hungry?" I shook my head," Okay." I looked out the window, I played with my fidget cube quickly." My friends are dying to meet you, they're at my place now, where we're headed. You've got your own room, too, so..." He sighed," Your mum and I were really good friends, Jasper." I looked up," If I knew you existed... I'd never, never just not go to you." I nodded my head," I wanna learn everything about you, I wish I'd met your sister." I went back to messing with the cube," Uh... I'm not gonna force you to talk, ever, but I'd still like to know you're listening." I grabbed my iPad, then my pen, writing. Hi." Hey, Jasper." JJ." JJ, is that your name?" I nodded," Okay, JJ, it is." I nodded," If you don't want to meet my friends, that's okay." I shook my head, It's ok." Okay, just, not pushing you into anything." I nodded my head, looking down, I hated attention, I just wanna be left alone forever.

We got to his house, I got out, I grabbed my bag, my hand messing with the cube by my side. He smiled at me, I looked down, we went inside, I heard yelling, I tensed up, my fist tightened on the cube. Calum noticed instantly,
He said" You don't have to do this, JJ, you know that, right?" I nodded my head," Still want to?" I nodded again quickly, I followed him into the living room. Three guys looked our way, I glanced at them, then looked down again,
One guy said" Holy shit, he nearly looks just like you!"
" That's Mikey, then Luke, then Ash. Guys, this is JJ." I glanced up as he said their names,
Luke said" Hey, JJ." I waved,
" Wanna see your room? It's just a bed and desk, but I didn't exactly know what you liked." I nodded my head quickly, he led me to my new room, He opened the door, I walked in and sat on the bed." I'll be in there with them if you need me, okay?" I nodded my head," You seemed pretty exhausted, so it's safe here." I nodded my head again, he walked out, I fell back onto the bed. I stared at the ceiling, whimpering, I closed my eyes, then opened them, I turned on my headphones, listening to music immediately.

Calum's POV
I walked out of JJ's room, I went back to the living room, the guys were waiting on me.
Mikey asked" Tell us everything?"
I said" He's been to hell and back, uh... lost his mum, sister, and grandparents in less than a year, and now he's stuck with the dad he never knew."
Luke said" You didn't know he existed, Cal, that's not your fault."
" I-I just wish I was there before this... you know, he doesn't talk, not since his stepdad murdered his mum and sister."
Ash said" He didn't see... right?"
" He was at a friend's... and when he came home... He's the one who called the police."
" Oh, god."
" Uh... then he went to his grandparents and 3 months later, their house caught fire in the middle of the night, he was sleeping in his room and he woke up to his neighbor grabbing him and pulling him out a broken window. His grandparents didn't make it, and he was nearly accused of setting the fire."
Luke said" Kid's been through hell."
" He's a nervous, anxious kid, and I don't know how to help him."
" The best you can, Calum."
" I want to know everything about him, but I'm scared to know everything."
" You've gotta know, Cal, to help him."
" I know."
Mikey said" You know, he looks almost exactly like you."
" Yeah, I know." I smiled," His sister looked like his mum, though. She was adorable."
Luke said" Two kids?"
" Yeah... I wish I'd got to meet her, but I've got JJ."
" Yeah. How long was that?"
" Uh... his grandparents passed away, 3 weeks ago."
" So, you're saying.."
" His mum and sister passed away nearly 4 months ago."
" Kid's still..."
" He's... they said he has nightmares, and they've been keeping track of his mental health, behaviors... and they say he's just... there. Like he's existing but not living."
" Do they think he's self harming?"
" They do, they think he's gonna spiral big time, just gonna rage out, anger, sadness... grief, but he just seems to be stabling himself."
" What does that mean?"
" They think he's gonna get really bad, like everything combined in a storm inside his head."
" That's gonna be bad, huh?"
" Definitely, but I think I can help him, you know... Or at least try to."
" Yeah."
" Guys, since he started his way to me, with all of the social workers, they've wrote down how many times he's ate or drank anything... and he's only drank water, 20 times in 3 weeks... he hasn't touched or looked at food since he left the states."
" That's a really long time without food, Cal. For a kid.."
" Yep, and I asked if he wanted food and he shook his head, how do I get him to eat?"
" I don't know."

We were playing Mario, I checked on JJ about an hour ago, he was asleep with his earbuds in. I heard screaming, I jumped up and ran to JJ's room, he was screaming in his sleep. Kicking and punching at the air, I ran to him, grabbing his arms before I could get hit, I held him down, he pushed against me, screaming.
I said" JJ! JJ! Wake up! Wake up!" His eyes opened, he pulled out of my arms and hit the ground from crawling back so far. He was breathing heavily," Hey, hey, focus on me, hey, JJ." He looked at me, flinching visibly, he pulled his knees up, pulling the hood over his face quickly." JJ, hey." He was crying, I looked at him, then started walking to him, he crawled back. I stopped, then sat down," Look, I've got you, okay? Whatever that nightmare was about, I'm not gonna let it happen." He chewed at his double lip piercing, then rubbed his arms, he stood up, I stood up, his legs gave out, I grabbed him before he hit the ground. I led him back to the bed, he laid down, pulling his knees up, he grabbed his iPad and wrote. I'm sorry." It's okay to have nightmares, JJ. It's okay to be afraid, but I swear, I'm not gonna let anything happen." You can't control everything." I know, but I can keep you safe. I'm your dad, kinda in the job description." I saw him smile a little before going back to the blank expression." And you really need to eat, JJ, okay? It's not healthy, what you're doing." But I'll puke if I eat." You've still gotta eat, dude, you know... it's not healthy. What do you like to eat?" A lot, anything really. Bacon burgers are amazing! And grilled chicken!," Anything? Seriously?" Mom always said I'd eat anything, she gave me sardines once, and we found out I was allergic to the oils they use keeping the sardines fresh. Amazing hospital trip, I got a free cupcake!, I smiled," Wanna go get something to eat?" He gulped, looking down after glancing to me, I've noticed that, he doesn't like people looking at him or looking at people. He nodded his head after a few minutes," Alright, let's go." I got up, walking to the door, he grabbed his bag and followed me," And we can go shopping while we're out." He shook his head," What?" He started writing, You don't have to buy me stuff," I'm buying you some clothes and some room stuff, JJ." He shook his head," Yes."
We walked out of his room, and to the living room,
I said" Guys, let's go. Food and shopping."