Chapter LV ✠ As the Ice Melts

Start from the beginning

"That's because your father and mine had a good connection, so our kingdoms mingled before Njord cut my father down. Like I said before, Alaric, you're my friend. I couldn't leave you out there alone. Besides, you're good company. If I needed a real protector, I could have summoned Wilona to fly in with her black wings to subdue my Dane foes." Una laughed, looking down at her dress.

"It's that humor that gets us into so much trouble. When blood and ash are falling from the sky, somehow I'm still laughing through it all because you cracked a sick joke that won't leave me." He laughed.

"It cuts down on the feeling of pain," Una admitted and grabbed the goblet of mead in front of her and took a gentle sip.

"You, Una, feeling any pain?" Alaric laughed.

"I may not express it, but I feel it just as vividly as you do. Besides, it's a physical pain that hurts the least. It's the pains of the heart and mind that torture me more than anything. Right now, I'm about to go off to war with the man who has been the bane of my existence for most of my life. We will ride into battle as partners of war. Now, that is real suffering." Una admitted tapping her fingers over the side of the goblet.

"You've never been one to drink mead without a meal? Is that what you are worried about? Do you fear that he will try to kill you like he did our fathers, right behind their backs?" Alaric said, crossing his leg over the other and leaning even further back into the chair.

"I worry for my own mental strength. I fear that it will be me that will kill him. He knows how to provoke rage out of people, and I'm sure he will try with me no matter how collected I may be." Una mumbled as she took another sip of mead.

"Una." Alaric hesitated as he twisted the bottom of his tunic with his fingers.

Una looked at him, taking yet another sip of mead.

"He fears you, or else you would have already been dead. He's offered you an army and his devotion to smiting the dragons of Mercia. I think he is treading very lightly around you because, like me, we could both end his reign very easily." Alaric looked down at the blood spot on his leather boot.

"Are you still going to flee after we leave, even if he fears us both?" Una asked, nonchalantly swirling the mead in the goblet.

Alaric froze as he looked at Una and fluttered his eyes at her.

"What?" He scoffed.

"Oh, don't be daft with me." Una chuckled and folded her arms with her goblet still in hand.

"What do you mean?" Alaric said with a wide grin.

"I knew the moment we arrived here. You seemed very uncomfortable, even though you tried to convince me with your words. What is the one you like to say a lot? Oh, yes, the one where these are your people, your true family." Una said with ease.

"I...I." He hesitated.

"You don't have to explain yourself. I felt the same way when I first came to Wessex. I didn't know anyone or anything. The customs were different. The people looked and acted differently. I was in an entirely different world. Despite it all, I found a family there. With Gareth, Laurel, Ingrid, and you, you all became the family I lost. I wouldn't consider Arawn, a member of my family, but he's helped perpetuate these strange fates. Perhaps I owe him more credit than I give." Una laughed and drank the rest of the mead in the cup.

"Forgive me, but you were always welcome here. You just have to allow yourself to welcome yourself." Una smiled and put the empty goblet on the table.

Alaric just stared intensely at her, his mind racing.

"Well, the sun is setting, and tomorrow I begin the long journey with a real demon. It's just a shame he is your uncle. Of course, we all have bad members close in our family. My mother tried to get me to consume human blood when I was a child. I didn't understand it when I just knew somewhere deep within myself that it was wrong. You have this instinct too. Don't run from it. Don't run from this place. You must learn to live with devils so your wings can grow stronger. One day you can fly away from it all as I did. There is no greater feeling than liberation from yourself." Una said softly as she stood up, having to brace her hand on the table already feeling the alcohol.