Ch. 48: War Council

As soon as they came within sight of the fort, Calix drew Nox to a walk, holding out a hand to signal that Tullus should do the same. The last thing he wanted to do was cause a panic by charging up to the gate and demanding the other generals be gathered.

This needed to be kept quiet.

As they hailed the guards and rode through the gate, Calix cast a sideways look at Tullus. The young soldier had a troubled frown on his face and seemed determined to look at anything but Calix. They rode in silence back toward the stables and dismounted.

Tullus started to lead his horse over to the messengers' remuda, but Calix said, "A moment."

The soldier hesitated, then turned back toward him, staring hard at the frosted ground. Calix let a sigh stream from his nose, considering how he wanted to say this. It was of utmost importance that he impress upon Tullus the need for silence on this matter.

"When I tell you that you'll get your chance at blood, do you believe me?" Calix asked, stroking a hand down Nox's neck.

For a long time, Tullus stared down at the ground. Then, he gave a small shrug.

That wasn't good enough for Calix. He could see the resentment beginning to stir in the younger man and knew it needed to be salved. He closed his eyes briefly, grinding his teeth together. When he opened his eyes, he pinned an icy glare on the soldier.

"Look at me, Tullus. Now!" he snapped, startling the guard into staring at him. He'd rarely if ever raised his voice at individual soldiers. Keeping his voice low but harsh, he said, "If I hear a single word about what we saw in the forest come from any soldier other than you, I'll have you beaten within an inch of your life. Do you understand me?"

Now Tullus was staring at him, eyes wide. In the past month, Calix had only ever resorted to corporal punishment three times, and only when the offenses were so outstanding they couldn't be overlooked. Calix licked his cold-chapped lips, making sure to keep his expression severe.

"Yes, sir," Tullus finally said, his response crisp.

Calix held the soldier's gaze until the other man looked down again. Then, he laid a hand on his shoulder. "This is important, Tullus. This is something I'm trusting you with. I meant what I said if you don't keep your mouth shut, but I said it to impress upon you the gravity of this situation."

After a second, Tullus nodded, meeting Calix's gaze again. His throat bobbed and he whispered, "Did you really mean it, sir? That we'll be hunting them?"

"Yes," Calix said gravely. "And I can swear that you will be a part of it if you so choose." He eyed the younger man. "Unless you would prefer I made other arrangements?"

The fury and betrayal on Tullus' face warmed Calix's heart. It would seem his instincts had been right concerning this one.

"No!" Tullus nearly shouted, then paled and looked around. When he realized no attention had been drawn by his outburst, he let out a small sigh and let his gaze flick back to Calix. "I mean..." he cleared his throat nervously, "no, sir. I would not prefer that."

Calix nodded before turning toward the stables. "Wait near my tent, Tullus. I need to meet with the other generals, but after that plans will be put into action. I'll keep my word, legionary, but only if you do the same."

Tullus bobbed his head.

"Not even the other guards," Calix warned. Inevitably he would need to tell them, but it was his prerogative concerning when that would happen and how. 

"Yes, sir," Tullus managed before Calix led Nox into the stables.

He untacked the horse and gave him a quick rubdown, ordering one of the attendants to give him a hot bran mash. Then he stalked back out into the cold, making for Arcturus' tent. He knew that Catallus would want to send Calix's men out immediately. He would need Arcturus' seasoned, steady voice of reason to make sure that didn't happen, but Arcturus would need to know that Calix had a plan before he approved such a delay.