Ch. 43: Fair Trade

Cassia blinked in the sunlight coming through a huge, glassed window and knew she was dreaming. The light simply wasn't that pure or golden where she was in waking life. She stared out over a forest of trees with crystal green leaves, wondering if the foliage had ever really been that brilliant, or if it was simply her longing for home that made it seem so terribly beautiful.

Gentle hands brushed the heavy hair from the side of her neck and Cassia closed her eyes as familiar lips touched her skin. 

They were cold.

When Cassia turned, she found Calix standing behind her. A small cry of horror left her and she staggered back a step, shocked by what she was seeing.

He was covered in blood, his armor gone, his chainmail rent in several places, his clothes torn. Red was smeared around his eyes like some kind of ghoulish mask. His shirt and trousers were stained on his right side, originating from a spot just below his ribs.

Calix smiled at her, offering a bloody hand for her to take.

Her heart shuddered in fear and pain, but she still placed her hand in his and let him pull her a little closer. His fingers were like ice as they wrapped around hers. Hesitantly, she reached forward, brushing a few strands of blood-slick hair out of his face.

"Why do I keep dreaming of you?" she whispered. She gently tapped his temple. "Why are you always here?"

Calix smiled again, pressing a kiss to her knuckles. "You know why." He pulled her forward, seemingly oblivious to the stains covering him as he held her close, his mouth brushing her hair.

"Because I love you?" she whispered, her throat so tight she could barely get the words out. Ignoring the copper stench clogging her nose, she wrapped her arms around him, clinging to him.

They stood like that for a few silent moments, until Cassia began to shiver. It was a bit like holding an ice sculpture. Calix let out a low chuckle when she tightened her hold as he tried to pull away.

"It's cold where I am," he said apologetically, finally succeeding in disentangling himself. He gently cupped her face with a hand and she turned her head, pressing a kiss to his palm. Blood smeared her mouth, but Calix didn't seem to mind.

His eyes turned soft as he bent his head to kiss her. Cassia stood on her toes, trying to thread her arms around the back of his neck to pull him closer, but he caught her with a knowing smile. Keeping her hands trapped between them, he pressed his lips to her forehead, her eyelids, scattering a few kisses across her cheekbones before returning once more to her mouth.

"Oh, my love," he said with a sigh, letting his forehead rest against hers, "it's so much more than that."

It took Cassia a moment to collect her addled thoughts before she realized he was continuing their conversation. Her brow furrowed and his mouth curled in a familiar, crooked little smile. He brushed another kiss across her mouth before he pulled away. 

His dark eyes glinted with love and amusement behind their grisly, red mask. "I'm surprised you haven't already realized what you've done."

"Done?" Cassia echoed, confused, then a cry of dismay tore from her throat as he turned and disappeared into the encroaching shadows between the library's massive shelves.

She leapt forward, meaning to follow him, but a strong hand gripped her arm, pulling her backwards. Cassia tipped her head up to find Marcus peering grimly down at her. She whirled to face him, but couldn't break free of the grip he had on her arm.

"You need to wake up," he said, his eyes hollow and deadly serious. "You need to see."

Cassia couldn't help but gape up at him. He lifted a hand and scrubbed his thumb just under her bottom lip. He stepped back, showing her the blood staining his skin. More blood seeped through the sleeves of his white shirt, wet and ruby-bright. "It starts here, Cassia."