Chapter 35 Deep Inside of You

Start from the beginning

I needed answers but at the same time, I didn't want to reveal too much.  This was a dangerous game.

"Where is the fugitive?" I asked.

Her eyebrow arched inquisitively. "You don't remember? I was hoping you could tell us what happened.

"No," I grunted bluntly, not looking to share anything. 

She sat back in her hover chair and seductively placed her finger on her lips pensively.  "Interesting," she murmured.  "Neron said the same thing."

I felt a wave of relief. Neron always was one for solidarity and he intended to keep Aeris safe as well.

"We found the fugitive unconscious. He has been in that state upon arriving here," she informed casually, bringing up the stats in a hologram. "Once he wakes up, a full interrogation will take place. His other lackeys are held here as well and we confiscated what we could from their labs, but there wasn't much. A busted up parasitic novular alloy being was the only thing of worth."

Her words struck me with a tinge if irritation. She was worried about items of worth in that lab of nightmares? What about the horrendous experiments they were performing? We're we going to ignore the blatant abuse of ethics in the name of science?

"It seems it was only meant to be a small lab for transient services. Heavier lifting must have been taking place elsewhere," she continued in before looking back at me. Her face twisted with confusion.

"You seem...upset. Did something traumatic happen? Perhaps you need a dose of Euphoquin?"

Euphoquin. There was a certain stigma within the GIU for anyone who needed to take that drug. It was for Torians who failed to control their emotions. It kept them in a state of neutral calm if they failed to maintain that mindset themselves.

Many average Torians took it. The discipline to withhold from rising emotions was not a task easily handled and it took severe dedication to do so. I had learned that skill at a young age and never required the need for the drug... until now.

Now, I found myself coursing through the spectrum of emotions over a human.  A human who meant more to me than anything I had ever encountered. A human who crossed my mind more than my fiancé who was sitting right front of me.  What did that even mean? 

"There is no need for that," I answered uninterested.

She smiled knowingly and placed a bottle of the pills on the tray next to my cot.

"Well, why don't you take some with you, just in case," she said with a wink. "I don't want anything to get in the way of our perfect ceremony next week."

Next week. Was it already that close? The pit in my stomach grew as if it were about to suck me in whole. Before any of this, I would have found this concept satisfying. To move on to the next level of my life would have been an accomplishment. It was all apart of the plan.

When Celestra and I had been matched, Commander Lark had been pleased. I was already being set to take over his position as he was next to rule the empire because of his stellar role in the GIU all these years. As one of his top agents, he was thrilled that I would be entering a Union with his most prized possession; Celestra.

We performed a bonding with each other as was customary when you were matched; a ritual of exploring the state of your partner to understand their true internal make up.  When we placed our hands on each other's hearts with the golden glow of the connection, I could feel her being. 

She was cold, like I was standing in a desolate ice land. Her mind was fixed on her accomplishments and goals.  She was content with the pairing and her father's approval, but towards me was a sense of indifference.  She found me to be a strong and suitable mate who would provide her the type of offspring she wanted.  I was merely the next level on her list of goals to check off and if I was honest with myself, she most likely felt the same from me.