Chapter 17: Home-cooked Meal

Start from the beginning

As much as they liked Cheng Xiao, they still wanted to see more of this happier side of Yibo so they agreed to the plot after some thoughts (and Zoey offering to buy them deserts).

When Yizhan returned, they were immediately dragged towards the cafe since the kids insisted on eating lunch there. Zoey figured the canteen was along the route to the VIP department and was too dangerous. She also texted Zhuo Cheng to monitor Cheng Xiao and if she was near the cafe to inform Pei Xin.

From this moment on, a private YiZhan gang was formed where their vows were:

Create opportunities for YiZhan

Hide Xiao Zhan from Cheng Xiao

Mainly for the children - obtain food and toys as compensation for their hard work

~~~~~

Yibo continued to deliver food to the hospital be it breakfast, lunch, dinner, or even 'tea time'. At some point, he didn't even bother using the children as an excuse and everyone stopped questioning as well. As a matter of fact, there was an unspoken expectation from the staff to get free food several times a week.

On one such occasion, Yu Bin 'accidentally'' mentioned how Xiao Zhan's version of the dish was a lot better.

Yibo raised one eyebrow and looked at Xiao Zhan, but voiced his question at Yubin, "Is he a great cook?"

"You haven't tried it," Zoey covered her mouth in astonishment. "Xiao Zhan, how could you? With all of these free foods and you haven't repaid him yet?" Zoey scanned Xiao Zhan from head-to-toe when she said 'repaid'.

Xiao Zhan rolled his eyes at her exaggerated disappointment and obvious innuendo.

"She's right Zhan-ge," Yibo played along. "I think I deserve a home-cooked meal."

Xiao Zhan turned his head towards Yibo, feeling truly offended by the accusation. It's not like he was the one who requested for these foods. Why were they turning him into someone who doesn't know how to repay a debt?!

"Fine. Thank You for the food Wang-er gonzi." Oh, he's mad, Yibo and the rest of the staff thought.

Xiao Zhan returned to his meal as he finished his thought, "I'll be sure to repay your kindness."

Hearing the softened tone as he finished his sentence, the staff hid their smiles and continued to eat. They have never seen Xiao Zhan mad before, but they also wanted to give the man his moments even when it's clearly not that serious.

Before Yibo drove away from the hospital that day, he received a text from Xiao Zhan.

[Zhan-ge: When are you free for dinner?

Zhan-ge: What do you want to eat?

WYB: 😸

WYB: I'll be happy with whatever you make]

~~~~~

A few nights later, Yibo found himself in front of Xiao Zhan's door with one hand holding a bag of makkoli and another hovering over the doorbell. He has memorized Xiao Zhan's address since the day he sent the lotus flower bouquet. However, to be here in person required a whole different mindset.

For dinner tonight, Xiao Zhan decided to try making Korean food since he remembered that Yibo studied abroad at Seoul University for a semester. He figured Yibo would enjoy the flavors, but Xiao Zhan doesn't guarantee the authenticity. Yibo was simply grateful for the thoughts and doesn't care if it tastes like dirt.