꧁Tʜᴇ Bᴇᴀᴠᴇʀs꧂

"Come on" Mr Beaver whispered, "We don't want to be caught out here after nightfall"

The children hurried after the beaver through the snowy woods. Lucy clung to Peter's right arm whilst Katherine had her arm linked with his left. They walked together through the woods followed by Susan and Edmund who hadn't ignored the fact that their older brother and best friend were so close and although the former found it sweet the latter hated every passing minute of it.

Edmund felt he shared everything with Peter in his life and when push came to shove Peter always ended up on top. The shared a room, they had shared a bunk in the bomb shelter and they shared a cupboard.

Edmund always got Peter's hand-me-downs and Peter always got the first choice. The top half of the cupboard, the top bunk and the bed on the left near the window. But Edmund had always had one thing Peter didn't and that was Kat. Kat had always made her dislike for Peter known and she and Edmund had always been close friends in Finchley.

Edmund had never thought he would see the day his best friend got along with his brother yet there they were in front of him all cuddled up. It was sickening.

"Ah blimey looks like the old girl's got the kettle on... A nice cup of Rosy Lee" the beaver announced snapping Edmund from his thoughts.

"It's lovely" Lucy complimented.

"It's merely a trifle, Still plenty to do ain't quite finished yet. It'll look the business when it is though" Mr Beaver rambled on.

Katherine giggled at Mr Beaver and Peter watched her chuckling along softly. The girl had snowflakes on her cheeks and hair and one had settled on one of her eyelashes. Peter moved his hand up to brush it away. The girl turned to look up at him and light pink dusted both their cheeks before they both turned away.

The girl hurried off to follow the beaver and Lucy whilst the boy stood frozen for a few seconds. Susan caught up to him grabbing his arm and hauling him towards the dam.

"Real smooth" she half laughed half-whispered. That was enough to shock him out of his stupor.

"Whatever" he muttered as he made haste to the beaver's home.

"Beaver is that you?" a voice sounded from inside. "I've been worried sick" another beaver came out the house looking around for what they assumed was her husband.

"If I find out you've been out with badger again, I-" She stopped mid-track as she looked at who accompanied her husband. The children stared back albeit a bit awkwardly.

"Oh!" she cried in amazement, "Those aren't badgers" she hurried forward, "I never thought I'd live to see this day"

She glared at her husband, "Look at my fur, You couldn't have given me ten minutes warning?"

"I would've given you a week if I thought it would have helped" he whispered back smugly.

The Pevensies laughed and Katherine gave her a small smile, "You have lovely fur Mrs Beaver you wouldn't have needed any time"

Mrs Beaver smiled warmly at her, "Oh come inside" she told them. "We'll see if we can't get you some food" she then turned to her husband, "and some civilized company" before walking inside.

Mr Beaver chuckled nervously pointing his thumb back to his wife. The children followed Mrs Beaver into the home and Peter nudged Katherine.

"Suck up" he whispered with a smirk.