coma || dylan

~

you drive home from work. you couldn't wait to get home, safe to say it's been a long day.

you decided you were going to stop at starbucks in the way home and hopped in your car.

"hey dyl." you were home now, and screamed to wherever your boyfriend may be. you hear no response.

you walk around the corner and see him laying on the couch, on his phone.

"dylan??" you say, expecting his eyes to perk up and meet yours. they don't.

you walk over to see what he's doing, what's distracting him from the outside world around him.

he was just scrolling on instagram.

"dylan!? are you ignoring me??" you say, slightly laughing.

he sniffles and continues to scroll.

you scrunch up your eyebrows, what's going on??

"come on dylannnnn," you drag out his name, "this isn't funny."

he soon switches apps and opens messages. surprisingly enough, he opens your messages. his fingers type, 'hey, where are you?' and he sends the message.

does he really not see you??
you didn't understand what was going on. are you dreaming?

you feel around your jacket for your phone to respond, as if that would make him finally notice you. you figured if this was some crazy joke to just play along, right?

you then couldn't find your phone. you must've left it in the car. you ran out the door to your car, you stop short when your car isn't even there.

you just got here, obviously with your car... where did it go?? it was then that you realized you didn't even remember the drive home. you didn't even know how you got home. your brain started to hurt as you thought you were going mentally insane.

as you soon figured out this isn't a prank or joke dylan was playing on you, you wondered what was going on. this is some crazy dream. it felt so real though...

you went back in the house to see that dylan had disappeared too. you slowly walked into the living room, and saw that wherever dyl had gone he had left the tv on. a women stood in front of the camera and was reporting the news. a banner at the bottom read 'tragic accident by 54 Cameron St.' isn't that near the starbucks??

you listened in.

"-and it is being investigated. again, all the police know is a white jeep got totaled with an around-20 year old female inside. whom is unresponsive and being examined by medics now."

you slowly backed up against the wall. your hand went to your lips.

you drove a jeep.
you were 22.
you were just at that starbucks.
and you don't remember anything after that.

were you in a coma?

dylan must've saw that news report and left. he went to you. now you had to go to him.

you had to go to your car crash.

a flash of light brought you to the scene, confirming that this indeed was a coma. just the thought of that overwhelmed you, but you pushed it to a deep place. police cars and ambulances where everywhere. a blue chevi truck was parked just outside of the scene, it was dylan's.

you soon found him, knelt on the ground with his head in his hands. you ran up to him.

you knelt beside him, and put your hand on his back.

"babe i'm right here!!" you said, your eyes filling up with tears at the sight of him broken and alone.

your eyes flickered up to a stretcher. you did a double take, and slowly stood up. knowing what it would be.

there lay your body. bruised and cut up, your skin looked like a little kids scribbly drawing but only with different shades of red. you gasped and the air got caught in your throat.

you didn't know what to do. sit here and watch your body struggle for life? watch dylan struggle? medics were running around giving orders to no one in particular. but somehow they all looked like they knew what they were doing. dylan stood up beside you, and you hated the feeling of you not being able to touch him or talk to him.

something broke inside you as he leaned over and grabbed your hand, tears streaming down his face.

"come on babe. come back to me. don't leave me." his eyes scrunched up and he sobbed.

what were you supposed to do? you had no clue how to get out of this state. how to get back to you. you wanted to so bad but, how??

you focused the best you could on getting back to yourself. you took your other hand, closed your eyes and prayed that it would work. hoped that you could transform into yourself again, but nothing happened. you opened your eyes to see medics forming a circle around the stretcher, and out of instinct, you shuffled away. you found dylan mixed in the circle and awkwardly stood next to him. the medics started compressions and cpr, and dylan kept holding your hands. you screamed at yourself to wake up, for no one could hear you anyway. you screamed until your head pounded, the pain almost being a relive because you were feeling things. becoming more and more human. you cheered yourself on as the compressions continued. the doctors stopped and checked your pulse for anything, found nothing. dylan sobbed. but they continued. you began to tell yourself you were going to wake up, that you were ok, that everything was going to be ok in just a couple sec-

you gasped for air as your eyes opened.

your eyes shifted to where dylan was. he exhaled quickly and out of shock just stared at you.

"oh my gosh." he quickly embraced you in his arms, squeezing tight like he hasn't seen you in years.

"you're okay." he more muttered it to himself as he buried his head in your tangled hair.

you smiled into his shoulder.

"sir we need to get her to the hospital, you can join on the ambulance."

dylan let you go and you both looked at the women who had spoke to you.

after the ambulance they brought you into an emergency check up, checking everything about you in a matter of ten minutes. you briskly got rolled down a hallway, with at least five people screaming all at once. it was terrifying.

they found three broken bones in your left leg, and you had a very strong concussion, no pain of which had kicked in just yet.

they decided to keep you in for one more x-ray, but decided it could be saved for later. they wanted you to rest and catch up with dylan.

"y/n i noticed you were running late and i texted you and then i saw the news and-" dylan was pacing around you, hands in his hair. you cut him off quick.

"i know babe. it's okay, i'm alright."

he stopped short.

"you know? what do you mean..." he looked at you weirdly.

you told him, about the drive home and the talking to you with no response and then the car and how you didn't see him leave but also saw the news. you told him all of it.

"so... you were in a coma??"

you shrugged, "must've been it."

"holy-" dylan sighed, coming down by your side, "i'm just so glad you're okay. watching yourself after your accident. that must've been awful." he said with complete sincerity.

"watching you was worse."