16

"A heat-signature cloaking device? That crazy scientist just won't stop"

I sigh in frustration, plopping down onto the bed in Bucky's apartment. Early morning light streams through the windows, and my mind is completely exhausted from the previous night. After taking down the warehouse, it was practically morning. Now I'm ready to just sleep the day away, which would be simple if my brain would stop ruminating over the HYDRA doctor. Even when we're not together, Clayton's found ways to haunt me. The thought of him tampers the joy of taking down the Hydra branch slightly.

Only slightly.

"It didn't matter, though. We kicked ass out there" Bucky announces, sitting down on the couch he sleeps on. I can't help but smile at the memory, letting relief cloud over my never-ending fear of Clayton. The hold he has over me threatens to grip out the air from my lungs more each day.

"We did. I mean, fifteen to two? I'll take those odds any day" I respond, crossing my legs underneath me. We sit for a moment in silence, thinking over the fight. Beautiful adrenaline still courses through me slightly, and I can't help but feel like this is something I was born to do.

"Dawn, I have a question," Bucky suddenly states, looking to me, "I've seen your powers, you could've taken out all fifteen in seconds. Why didn't you?"

I sigh, glancing down at my hands for a brief moment.

"I don't like killing," I begin, looking back up to the soldier, "And the only way I can keep my powers from killing someone is extracting them. I can't risk killing anyone, I just can't."

A heavy, somber feeling blankets the room. It's almost too much to bear, so I speak up once more.

"We need to lighten the mood"

Bucky raises an eyebrow at me, leaning back on the couch.

"Okay, how?" He asks, waiting for me to continue. I think for a moment.

"What's your favorite color?" I ask lightheartedly. He laughs, looking at me incredulously.

"My favorite color? What are we, kids?" He retorts.

"Hey, it's a serious question!" I defend with a laugh. I can't help but smile at the childish question, but it did it's purpose. It lightened the mood.

"Besides, adults have favorite colors too" I continue. He laughs again, taking a moment to think.

"Green," he answers simply, pulling a hand through his dark hair, "It reminds me of nature, which has always been able to calm me"

"See? That's a great answer" I announce. He scoffs, shaking his head at me.

"What's yours?" He asks back. I smile, victory pooling in me that I've been able to crack through his angsty demeanor.

"Blue," I respond instantly, shifting on the bed, "Like the kind of sky blue that comes out on the prettiest days. It always gives me hope"

"Are you always this insightful?" He taunts. I can't help but laugh shortly, raising an eyebrow at him.

"Shut up, Barnes" I joke, rolling my eyes good-naturedly at him. He seems to always be able to make me smile.

"Not a chance, doll" Bucky calls out as he lies back on the sofa, preparing to go to sleep. I laugh softly and try to ignore the way my heart flutters at the nickname he uses, but I can't help but ruminate over it.

It means that Bucky Barnes just might be warming up to me.

My mind quickly moves to Clayton, blood-curdling memories searing through my mind. The very thought that the man is beginning to create devices to counteract the powers he gave me terrifies me. It means he just might be planning on finding me, taking me back. I can't go back to that lab, I just can't.