14

As we walk down a street, the wind gently plays with my hair.

"Isn't it such a beautiful day?" I announce, taking in a deep breath of the beautiful aroma of market food.

"Are you always this upbeat?" Bucky asks, looking over at me with a raised brow. I shrug, brushing back my blonde hair.

"I try to be. I've found that being positive keeps my mind off of things I don't want to remember" I answer. He hums in response, and I feel his gaze burning into me. I turn to look at him, his blue eyes heavy with something unreadable. I quickly tear my gaze away, looking back down at my feet.

I guess that's my defense mechanism.

"I guess I do the opposite" he announces, his hands resting in his jacket pockets.

"What do you mean?" I ask. He shrugs, nodding at a woman who walks past and smiles at him.

"I don't know," he sighs, stopping at a street corner, "I kind of just shut everything down"

I look over to him, a distant look in his blue eyes. A part of me saddens at that look, the one I used to exude. I know how much I used to hate when people would try to give me lectures on how I needed to change my attitude.

All I wanted was for someone to listen, to make me think about other things.

"Trust me, Bucky, I know," I say gently, the slightest bit of a smile growing on his face, "But you know what helps get my mind off of things?"

He scrunches up his eyebrows, looking over at me in amused confusion.

"Skipping around and humming in a flower field?" He taunts. My mouth drops open in mock offense and I scoff.

"No, that's only for Saturday's," I tease, making him actually laugh, "But seriously, what always makes me happier is food"

"Now that I can agree with"

I laugh, walking again around the corner with Bucky.

"So, where's this connection of yours? Maybe they're near someplace for breakfast" I ask.

"Actually, yeah. They're only a few shops down on this block" he answers, his eyes scanning the shops to our left. I hum, following his lead. I'm a little perplexed, though, when he leads me into Marius' shop.

"You eat here too?" I ask as the familiar warmth envelops me. He nods simply as we walk past people who mill out happily with their pastries

"Yeah, best papanasi in Bucharest," he says simply. My mouth drops and I look over at him in shock.

"I know right?" I agree.

"You like it too?" He asks, his eyes full of a lighter feeling than before. I nod, going to respond when a voice cuts in.

"Well, what do you know? My two favorite customers at the same time!"

I whip my head over to the older man behind the display case. I walk over, a broad smile on my face.

"I thought I was your favorite customer" Bucky calls back jokingly. The man raises his hands in surrender.

"But how could you not love this face?" Marius defends, gesturing to me. I smile, shaking my head at the man.

"Hey Marius, how's your day?" I ask. He nods, brushing his floured hands on his apron.

"Better now," he answers, looking between the two of us, "You two make a fine couple, by the way."

My cheeks immediately flush pink, my stomach swirling.

"Oh no we're not-" I begin, avoiding the man beside me.