11

I can sense Bucky's surprise without even having to look at him.

"They kept me for about four years, running tests when they pleased. I learned early on to stop fighting, the tests hurt less than the punishments" I continue, my heart pounding painfully in my rib cage.

"One day, their tests succeeded. They had managed to successfully change my chemical makeup"

I can feel Bucky staring at me, dumbfounded. I keep my eyes locked on the wall, though. I'm too scared to see his face.

"It was six years ago when Fury found me, saved my life." I inform, gathering the courage to look over to Bucky, "The agents that were at the house last night were there to take me back. I guess they don't like the fact that one of their experiments is running free"

His blue eyes are widened slightly, mouth slightly agape. I swallow, my hands trembling from divulging the one story only two people know.

"Well," Bucky begins, looking down to his hands and back to me, "I guess you and I are more alike than I thought"

This time I furrow my brows, watching him sigh.

"You too?" I ask, my heart burning with sympathy. I'm probably the only one who really understands.

"When I fell from the train during the war, Hydra found me," he begins, his jaw clenching, "They decided that I was worth more alive than dead, so they gave me this"

He gestures to his metal arm, my eyes tracing the red star etched on it.

"They messed with my head, made me into this...monster" he finishes at almost a whisper.

"You're not a monster" I assure. He laughs humorlessly, looking up to me.

"You don't know what I've done"

"A monster wouldn't save my life or Steve Rogers'," I state, our eyes locking, "You had no control over what you did. You're not a monster"

There's a beat of silence that rests over the room. His blue eyes stay locked with my green ones, looking slightly confused. I can't stop the flutter in my stomach and quickly look away, not wanting to explore the origins of the sensation.

"So, what do we do now?" Bucky asks. I sigh, placing a hand gently to my stomach.

"Well, I need my suitcase. And to be completely honest, I'm starving" I inform. He chuckles, shaking his head at me and standing up.

"Tell me the address, I'll go and get the suitcase and some food" Bucky instructs. Indignation flares within me.

"I'm perfectly capable, but thank you" I defend, sitting further up and swinging my legs off the side of the bed.

"What are you doing?" He asks, observing me with an amused countenance. I look over to him.

"I'm going to the house" I simply state, preparing myself to stand to my feet.

"Okay"

Confusion stirs within me at his almost immediate acceptance until I put pressure on my leg. I immediately sit back down, wincing at the pain. I look up to see Bucky trying not to laugh.

"That's not funny" I announce, fighting to keep my own smile off my face.

"It's a little funny"

"Could you please just help me up?" I finally ask, hanging my head in defeat.

"You need to stay here and rest" Bucky states, pulling his jacket on. I groan, not liking the thought of being cooped up in this apartment.

"Bucky, please," I state, placing a hand to rest on my injured stomach, "I can rest later"