Season 4: Episode 5

Start from the beginning

I reach out, which makes her eyes switch up to mine.

"I can tell you're stretched thin," I say. "And I know you don't have an obligation to tell me everything that's going on, but Ava's grades are suffering, and she won't pass third-grade without some extra help after school."

This news seems to stab Lisa. The look of exhaustion quickly morphs into a look of complete despair.

"I can't afford a tutor," she argues. "And I don't understand her homework enough to help her..."

"That's why I have a proposition," I continue. "But I need you to have an open mind."

She just nods before she folds her hands on the table between us.

"I'm suggesting I tutor Ava after school for the remainder of this year." I take a deep breath. "It'll allow me to make sure she completes her homework and understands the material, and it'll allow you to be able to stay at work and not worry about where she is."

Lisa remains stone-faced, and a sinking feeling grows in the depths of my stomach. Have I offended her? Was she going to report me to my uppers for overstepping? Was she going to take this out on Ava?

But instead of freaking out on me, she begins to weep into her hands. Now I was the one who no longer knew what to say.

"Lisa?" I question. "Are you okay?"

"Y-Yes, I'm sorry. I just..." She dabs her eyes with the collar of her shirt. "I just feel relieved, is all."

My hand instinctively reaches out and rests on one of Lisa's shaking hands. She seems to have accepted my proposition, and the relief I feel because of that is so overwhelming, I can a cry. Maybe this is the emotional aspect Sam was so afraid of...

"I'm sure you know about Ava's situation..." Lisa explains. "With her being a foster child and everything."

I just give her a sad nod.

"She talks about you all the time," Lisa confesses. "How you're her favorite teacher and you always let her borrow books from your class library. I..." She takes a ragged breath. "Just, thank you, Miss Adams. Thank you so much."

I give her a reassuring smile and we talk out a schedule that would work for everyone. Then I send them on their way. When I check my watch, I realize I'm going to be late for the therapy session and panic to pack up and leave. I thank Ethan in a hurry and rush away from Palm Vista and speed to Dr. Dupree's office.

When I enter the room, Sam is sitting on the couch looking annoyed with her arms folded over her chest. I hesitantly make my way over to her.

"Glad you could join us, Megan," Dr. Dupree welcomes.

"I'm so sorry I'm late. My meeting extended a little longer than I anticipated," I apologize.

"Sam and I were just talking about the foster class you two attended this weekend."

I look at Sam who remains stoic.

"Okay..."

"Sam, would you like to tell Megan what you revealed to me?" the therapist asks.

"Not really."

I just stare at my annoyed fiancée and shake my head.

"Well, why not?" I ask her.

Sam remains quiet and I can tell she's in deep in thought. I turn to Dr. Dupree for answers. Eventually, the therapist gives up waiting for Sam and turns to address me on her behalf.

"Sam is worried that your motivation to get certified so quickly is being driven by the possibility of you still fostering Ava," Dr. Dupree admits.