38| The Unplanned Escape

Magsimula sa umpisa

The first thing I saw was Breanna. She was sitting beside my small bed and reading a book. When she saw me staring, her eyes lit up with joy.

"We're in a plane." I half-whispered, demanding an explanation.

"Caden asked us to go to New York and lay low at his place. This is...his private jet." She looked almost guilty while explaining.

"And the others?" By others I meant Dylan. Was he even alive?

"They're still in Boston. Everyone is with Dylan at the hospital. He'll be okay."

I let out a sigh of relief, but frustration was mingled in there somewhere. I didn't want to leave my friends like that. Why did Caden do this selfish thing? "Why did you listen to Caden?"

Her face went pale. "I-I tried, Carlton. But he didn't give a damn about what I had to say. And Phil..."

And Phil's opinion probably didn't even matter to him. I know. He's always like that.

What Caden wants, Caden gets.

It was funny how a small thing had turned into such a huge mess. It had started with just me, then Damien, then Breanna and her squad, then Dylan, and now...my brother. I would've never expected this.

"You lost a lot of blood," Breanna said, placing her hand on mine reassuringly. "You should rest."

Maybe I was too rude in the moment. "What're you implying?" But I was just so tired or other people fucking up my plans that I had worked so hard on.

"Only that you should rest," she replied more sternly, showing me that she wasn't scared of my ruthlessness. And I liked that. "Leave it in their hands now."

I sighed. "By their you mean my brother?"

She didn't say anything because I bet she understood why I was acting like this. That is, yet again, Caden Hargrave was slowly controlling this situation as if he were the leader and he owned us. I had dreaded this very moment since I asked him for help. For I knew Caden would do this.

Only time will tell if that was a good thing or bad.

*****

I think I had passed out again because when I woke up, I was lying on a soft bed. My body had sunk in, yet was throbbing all over. Fatigue had consumed me so much that I didn't even feel like trying to move.

"Oh you're awake again."

Breanna was still sitting by me on a chair. I was a bit overwhelmed. She had been sitting next to me constantly, throughout the plane ride and even now.

"What?" She smiled.

I realised I had been staring at her for too long. A blushed creeped on my cheeks and I turned away from her. "T-Thank you."

Fumbling? Really? After all these years?

A giggle left her mouth. Reaching up she placed her lips on my forehead, gently stroking my hair and I felt like I'd fall into a deep slumber once again.

"I was so scared. When you started screaming, I just...I wished I could do something to help you." Her eyebrows furrowed with concern.

I smiled with gratitude, my glance falling beyond her. I wanted to let her know, that her presence was a sufficient enough help for me. Nothing could beat that.

A huge window covered the wall, displaying the view outside. It seemed we were in the lower level of a normal looking house. A small swimming pool reflected the rays of the moon into the dark room, casting shadows across.

Weird that Caden owned this very normal looking house. Did he use this to hide away for whatever reason? Anyway, he sure had a way out of everything.

I complimented the serene atmosphere, the noiseless neighbourhood and the silent humming if a vehicle on the roads every few minutes. Contrary to the whole conference dilemma. And the pain, the gut-wrenching, deleterious, dismal pain.

It felt good to rest again.

And to think that everything will be okay now. Maybe.

I was enjoying the moment and the feel of Breanna's concerned touch, when the door of the room opened.

"Hello brother." Caden gave a sly smile.

My irritation instantly grazed the ceiling. "Why did you bring me here?"

"It sure is nice to see you again. How're you feeling?"

"What does it look like?"

A short, contained chuckle left him. "Never one to give a straight answer I see. Thats fine with me."

After a few seconds of awkward silence, Breanna jolted up. "I'll leave you guys to it." She walked out, trying her utmost not to accidentally touch Caden on the doorstep.

Caden glanced at her from the back, a wide grin plastered on his lips. "She's pretty. Where'd you find her?"

"We know eachother since kindergarten." I scowled in disgust, sitting up straight on the bed, my wound stinging.

"Impressive."

"Tell me caden, why did you bring me here, and left all my friends behind."

"I looked into it. Your friends are safe. Dylan is fine too. Unconscious but he'll live." Caden sat next to me where Breanna was sitting earlier. "What went wrong?"

"I don't think I need to tell you that. It's probably all over the news by now."

"Yes. But all your names are hidden."

I smiled. "Thanks."

"What for?"

I looked at him challengingly. "I know you erased our names from record."

He returned a smile. However, my facade became stern again. "You still haven't answered my question. Why am I here?"

Caden wouldn't budge. The door slammed open, revealing a restless guard. "Sir, they're here." He told Caden.

"That was quick."

My back straightened in awe. "Who? Who's here?!"

My head spun when Caden removed a gun from his belt, his bloodshot eyes meeting mine. "I'm sorry I hid this from you. Stay inside and don't come out."

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

It's been so long everyone! I'm excited to announce that more than 3/4th of the story is finally over. From here on, I'm uncertain how many chapters it will be but it won't extend past 10.

I'd like to thank all of you who have reached this point in the book. My other 2 books are doing surprisingly awesome. I really hope Carlton is able to touch the amount of reads they have after it is finished ^^

Thanks for all your votes and comments and tremendous support!

Love, K!