Chapter 27

Chapter 27: The Players Arrive!

Nonetheless, it was in the moment of imminent peril that an unusual noise echoed from yet another direction.

Angora turned toward it by instinct to find an unusual convoy of caravans nearby, having appeared at some point in time within that spot of town.

Although they looked like your run-of-the-mill merchant convoy, their carriages were dashing and crashing amongst the skeletons, and reached them soon enough.

It was until then that Angora realized that there were white names hovering above the heads of the merchant group, just like himself.

There was no mistaking it. They were the Players the System mentioned!

Angora’s heart which had been at his mouth was finally eased. While he thought the System was honest and did not lie, he cheerfully shouted, “Our reinforcement’s here! Hold on, everyone, keep fighting until the end!”

But he soon realized that not only did the townsfolk not relax, but that the despair on their faces thickened.

“My lord, the reinforcements… is that it?” Vela could not help but ask.

Angora himself was taken aback by her question.

Indeed, the Players looked to number just around twenty. Was there any chance of victory against the eight hundred skeletons, including the elite skeleton knight?

Angora had not thought about that. He had merely been expecting rescue from the Players, but now, when he had seen their erratic formation, he could not help doubt them as a fighting force… after all, even though he was a Player, he was barely able to fight.

Still, he found it bizarre that the Players’ reaction towards the turbid ranks of the skeleton army.

They were neither fearful nor underestimating them. Instead, it was a confusing feeling as if they had seen moving gold.

“There are so many monsters here! How delightful!”

“They are coming out from the jungle and circling us! Finally, something I could test my new skill with.”

“Hurry, hurry!”

“XP, so much XP!”

“That big one on the horse must be a Boss. No telling what good stuff it would drop.”

“That horse is so cool… maybe I could take it as my ride!”

“Clearing these monsters means we clear the ‘save the village’ quest, right?”

“Ahaha! So many monsters… I, Marni finally could hope to reach level three!”

“Frost Bullet!”

“Hey, no kill stealing!”

Angora’s expectations were entirely subverted by the outcome when the Players collided against the legion of bones—the skeletons were essentially being harvested one-sidedly by the buffed Players.

It was not to say that the Players were so strong that they were completely unafraid of the skeletons, since some of the stronger skeletons would still be able to deal significant damage upon them.

A case in point was that Player called Marni who was dressed as a merchant. While he was dancing around with his battlefield sword style to hold off three skeleton warriors, he was stabbed repetitively on the back.

He cried “Ah, I’m dead!’ and dropped to the ground cold.

However, not a single player flinched. Instead, they fought even more violently.