Chapter 90

Chapter 90: Always Take Out the Rider First, Sounds Like Logic To Me!

It was evident that the Dragonfang had been terrorizing the village for quite some time, the villagers looked like they were celebrating the Harvest Festival as the hunters hauled the corpse of the Dragonfang back to town, the hunters were welcomed like heroes.

The villagers even welcomed the two strangers Jom and Terry to sit beside the bonfire and enjoy a warm meal.

Food in the village was simple, just some regular rye crispbread. The hunters were diligently working to fully butcher the large Dragonfang, slicing it up into palm sized steaks and handing them to the women of the village who cooked them on the bonfire and served them to the rest of the villagers.

Even the bones didn’t go to waste, the women tossed the bones into a large clay pot filled with water and brought it to a boil. After skimming off the scum formed on the surface and adding some leaves from a plant Jom didn’t recognize, the whole mixture was simmered slowly. Not long later, the wonderfully delicious meat stew was finished.

If let to cook for longer, even more flavor could be introduced into the soup, but the villagers obviously couldn’t wait any longer, all eager to finally start their feast.

Maybe it was because their village was isolated in a snowy cave, but it felt like the villagers hadn’t had a good hearty meal like this in quite some time. Jom and Terry had only taken their first taste of the stew when most villagers had already emptied their wooden bowls, some excited kids were running to the pot asking for seconds.

“You guys are believers of the God of the Harvest, right?” When Jom first entered the villager, he noticed something akin to a totem pole right by the entrance, the symbol of the God of the Harvest, Marcolo. Only if the village’s population was over one hundred, and all villagers were believers of the God of the Harvest, would the Garden of Grains (the church of the God of the Harvest) erect such an idol in the village.

It was a common symbol of pride, whenever deities created Divine Miracles, their idols would also be given a share of that power, and the subsequent aura they emitted gave the villagers special buffs as well. Other deities had their own idols similar to this one, for the church of the God of Games, it was sort of like the Lifestone.

Jom curiously asked the middle-aged hunter next to him, “I hear that the God of the Harvest casted his Divine Miracle down to our realm this year, since your village is recognized by the Garden of Grains, the village’s harvest should have been pretty decent, so why do you guys look like you’re in the middle of a famine?”

“Since the Valla Empire’s under the Brilliant White Church, besides the Garden of Grains, our village has to pay its taxes to the Brilliant White Church as well. Plus, with the White Church starting their ‘One Year War’ against the Temple of Glory, taxes this year have been particularly steep to help prepare army rations, after all that, we don’t have much…” The hunter stopped himself mid-sentence, startled that he was voicing his frustrations with the church out loud, cold sweat running down his back, “What do you kids know, asking questions like these!” He tried to brush the two boys off.

“I’m just curious,” Jom replied, he continued asking, “They’re basically bullying you guys at this point, why don’t you say anything?”

“Watch your mouth, kiddo!” The hunter shook his head in defeat, whispering into Jom’s ear, “The elders of the village say that deities are one with the church, to dishonor the church is to dishonor the gods! If you’re caught, you’ll be hanged dead on the town walls!”

Jom didn’t like what he was hearing, “So you guys are wimps, barely scraping by in the shadows of the infallible church?”

“You kids these days, what do you mean scraping by, when there wasn’t a war, our village was pretty well off.” The hunter was obviously displeased at how Jom called him a wimp. “It’s just that taxes are higher during times of war… Do you know what ‘war’ is? It takes people’s lives, before sending those hardened soldiers to battle, of course we’d have to make sure they were eating right.”