011 ⎯⎯ Dribble and Pirouette

— act two, scene one: dribble and pirouette

act two, scene one: dribble and pirouette

༺♥༻

     When Ricky and Megara finally got back downstairs to the bomb shelter, an overly nice EJ was waiting for Nini with open arms.  "I missed you.  Where have you been?"

     Megara turned to Ricky, and even though she lowered her voice, the mocking tone was still clear.  "I missed you, even though it's been thirty minutes.  Where have you been?  I need to watch you twenty-four seven."

     Ricky chuckled at this, patting her forearm as they took a spot on the bleachers and awaited further instructions from Miss Jenn since she had called everyone back to rehearsal.  "Shush," he whispered, the two biting back giggles.

     "What?" Nini asked her boyfriend. 

     "Before you came here," EJ clarified.

     "I was hanging with your cousin," Nini smiled, glancing over at Ashlyn.  It wasn't a complete lie; after Ashlyn left the room where the piano was, she ran into Nini, and then they proceeded to have an awkward conversation about how Ashlyn was doing the Ms. Darbus song and also how she was related to EJ.

     "Really?  Why?"

     "Don't be weird.  I'm just trying to get in good with the family."

     "Here it is, people," Miss Jenn announced her presence as she came through the doors with her blonde curls flying behind her, holding a small piece of metal in her hand.

     "Is that a garage-door opener?" the blonde boy, Sebastian, asked.

     "No, Seb," Megara shook her head as Miss Jenn quirked her eyebrow.  "This is Gabriella's phone.  From the film.  I plan on creating a time-capsule display in our lobby.  If they can have 40 sports-ball trophies, we deserve a little movie museum."  For a moment, she let everyone have their fair share of checking out the antique, taking turns passing it around to each other in awe.  "Okay, people, enough dazzle.  Fetch your scripts, please."

     Megara groaned, patting Ricky's knee.  "Wish me luck," she whispered quickly before getting up from her spot next to him on the bleachers.  He sent her a quick thumbs up as he watched her get her script from inside her Jansport backpack from the other side of the room.

     "Is that really her phone?" Nini walked up to Miss Jenn.

     "Hold it to your ear like a sea shell.  You'll hear echoes of V-Hudge crushing the B flat on When There Was Me and You.  Or you can let me disinfect it first."

     When Megara was situating herself and her belongings and making sure her bag was tucked away where it wouldn't get stepped on or bothered, she couldn't help but notice Gina Porter and EJ Caswell standing very close next to each other.  Not only were they standing close to each other, but they were also very close to Megara, and she could hear some of the conversation that they were having on the other side of the cabinets.  "We want the same thing.  But it's gonna take a little teamwork."  She could hear Gina say, but not a single context clue was given to help Megara picture why they would ever want the same thing, or what it might be.