022 ⎯⎯ Opening Night Jitters

— act two, scene twelve: opening night jitters

act two, scene twelve: opening night jitters

༺♥༻

     "It's gonna look so good," Megara took a step back to admire the set in front of her.  She tugged on Savannah's shoulder, bringing the girl closer to her so she could throw her arm over the blonde girls' shoulders.  Megara had gotten to the school rather late that morning but still helped as much as she could if not more.  Since the sets were finished drying, Megara threw her hair into a messy knot on top of her head and rolled up the sleeves of her Rolling Stones tee-shirt to do some heavy lifting.  "You guys did an amazing job."

     "Yeah well," Savannah leaned over so she could press Megara's temple with her own.  "It was a team effort."

     "And we're the best team!" Rita popped out from behind the set — a scene of the lockers in the hallways that Troy and Chad would be strutting in front of later on that night.  She approached the other two with a large grin, bringing her palms to face the other so they could give her a high five.  Both Megara and Savannah did, a crisp slap noise echoing throughout the empty room before Rita also threw her arms around them.  "I'm so excited for you two!"

     "Me too," Miss Jenn as she walked behind them.  "Girls, soak it in.  Opening night only happens once.  Be proud of yourselves.  You included, Rita," the teacher sent the Latina a quick wink before walking away.  They were more than used to Miss Jenn's attitude and antics by now, and she had been hanging out in the gymnasium with them all morning to relax her nerves about the show.  Which brought Megara to say...

     "I gotta admit, I'm a little bit nervous," Megara admitted as she loosened her grip on her friends to take a step back and look at their faces.

     "Don't be!" Rita said.  "You're gonna do great."

     "They grow up so fast," the wavy-haired blonde placed her perfect french manicured hand against Megara's cheek.

     "Oh God, save me," Megara dryly rolled her eyes just to get the point across to her friend.  Savannah had been begging Megara to do a show with her since the last one they did together was the Beauty and the Beast one in middle school, and had not hidden her excitement over Megara's role as Kelsi.

     "Well, there's prince charming now," Savannah waved that manicured hand carelessly towards the large double doors of the gymnasium.

     Megara turned around in confusion, eyes searching the dimly lit audience and settling on the boy sheepishly walking in with a strong clutch on his backpack.  He wore a denim jacket, and Megara could see his blonde highlights from where she stood.  Maybe not prince charming, but the closest she would ever get.

     "Sorry!" Ricky said, noticing how all three girls along with Miss Jenn were staring at him.  "Didn't mean to startle you..."

     "Ricky!  You're really early!"