023 ⎯⎯ Staying Committed

— act two, scene thirteen: staying committed

act two, scene thirteen: staying committed

༺♥༻

     Megara wasn't sure what had happened in those couple of seconds when Ricky was levitating in the air, but she was sure it had to have been something big.  She wasn't sure where he had run off to, so there was no point in rushing after him, which left her biting her nail as Rita was talking to her about some new picture of Ryan Reynolds.

     "Meg?  Earth to Meg?" Rita quietly said, waving a hand in front of her friend's face.

     "Hmm?" Megara rubbed the corner of her tired eye, reminiscing on a time when she wasn't part of the school's drama club.  If you would have told her a year ago she would have joined a show because of Ricky — her Ricky — and was now standing around waiting for him to come back, she would have laughed in your face.  Kourtney had told her that he seemed shaken up, and she chose to let him have a moment by himself, but she was already second guessing if that was 

     "Are you okay?" Rita tilted her head, pushing the plastic water bottle in her hand forward into Megara's chest.  The shorter girl (Rita, being extra, managed to wear a pair of wedges during the whole show) took it from her absentmindedly.

     "Thanks," Megara said as she took a sip.  "I just feel like my mind is all over the place right now."  Rita nodded, but before she could say anything (or maybe hopefully even offer a bit of advice), they were interrupted by a third voice.

     "I sure hope you're happy with yourself," Lynne Bowen said as she entered the room, earning confused looks from both of the younger girls.  "You were always quite the troublemaker."

     "Me?" Megara asked, yet it wasn't the only question on her mind.  She hadn't seen, much less spoken to, Ricky's mother in what seemed like years.  It probably had been.  "What did I do?"

     "He's refusing to do the rest of the show," Lynne said as if that explained everything.

     Megara furrowed her eyebrows, glancing over to Rita, silently asking her friend if she heard the woman in front of them right.  "What's that got to do with me?"

     "And how did you get back here?" Rita added.

     Lynne sighed.  "Look, I just talked to Ricky in the hallway outside, and he was very upset.  He was going on about how he's just... ruining the show for everyone else," she threw her hands up as if exhausted and unsure of what to even say.  "I told him he needed to stay committed, and then he just walked off."

     Ricky was having a mental breakdown?  While she was standing around backstage, nonetheless.  The girl had even gone through a costume change.  She knew how much this meant to him.  Megara could feel her heart beating a million miles per hour as it sank to the bottom of her stomach.  Her hand drifted to her stomach as she pressed her palm in an effort to calm herself.  She was sure that she knew Ricky better than anyone by now, including himself, and she wasn't trying to overstep a line that had been marked in permanent ink, but she surely couldn't let the thought go.