015 ⎯⎯ One Direction

— act two, scene five: one direction

act two, scene five: one direction

༺♥༻

     When Megara told Ricky she'd be there for him if he needed anything, she imagined receiving a text message — if anything — should he choose to reach out to her.  Her evening at home had been pretty quiet besides her CD player in the corner of her room that sounded like it was humming One Direction's Four album.  Rita had teased her about it, told her everyone in the twenty-first century had upgraded to Bluetooth, but there was something ultra comforting about her Hello Kitty bedazzled player.  Maybe because she spent a whole week bedazzling it with purple and black stones herself, but that's beside the point.

     As she doodled in her notebook with a highlighter, the last thing she expected was a rock to go flying through her window.

     Not on her window, through it.

     A small pebble hit the side of Megara's desk chair, only inches from her arm.  She paused immediately, glancing over at her slightly opened window.  She didn't mind the cool breeze in the evenings, and it helped ground her since her dad worked so late.  She waited a couple of minutes, but nothing else, so she went back to highlighting.  Then another knock, but this one flew somewhere by her bed.  She put the cap back on her highlighter and rose to her feet with the intention of closing her window, but after a couple of steps, she was hit in the stomach with another pebble.

     She approached her window and peeled back the curtain before opening her window further.  "My window was open the whole time."

     Ricky pressed his lips together, the fourth pebble in between his index finger and thumb as he came face to face with her.  "I was wondering why I didn't hear it tap the glass."

     Megara lazily rolled her eyes and pressed her hands against her windowsill to steady herself as she leaned forward.  "You coulda just rang the doorbell.  I'm the only one who's home."

     "Oh.  Uh, in that case, I'll just..." Ricky pointed to her front door, and after a quick nod from Megara, skipped away.

     Megara opened the front door and was able to see Ricky in his full glory; wind-tossed curls, bundled jackets, skateboard in hand.  He looked the same as when she'd seen him at school, whereas Megara was wearing grey sweats and a black tank top.  Her curtain bangs curled around her eyes while half of her hair was pinned back with a claw clip.  "Have you gotten any sleep lately?"

     "I don't know how you aren't cold," Ricky deflected her question as he walked inside.

     Megara closed the door behind him with a shrug.  "Only a little.  Do you want a snack?  I was just about to make some popcorn," she waved him over to the kitchen.

     "Your dad's still at work?" he asked, leaning against the island in the middle of the kitchen.  The kitchen was shaped like a baseball field, with the cabinets lining the walls to the back above the oven, stove, and another small counter where Megara's dad had bought a Keurig.  She nodded, putting a bag of popcorn into the microwave.  "Oh."