013 ⎯⎯ Call It Off

— act two, scene three: call it off

act two, scene three: call it off

༺♥༻

     "A voicemail?" Megara rubbed her temples.  "What were you thinking?"

     Ricky tugged at his curls hard.  "I know!  I wasn't, that's the point!"

     "Yeah, no shit!" Megara exclaimed.  "Ricky, we're trying to sell the story that we're dating, remember that whole plan?"

     "I know, Meg, I'm sorry!  I just wanted to make sure she and I were still cool after she saw us walking out of the auditorium together, whenever you were singing with Ashlyn."

     "She saw us come out of there?  I didn't even notice."

     Ricky nodded.  "Yeah well, she did, and I still have to talk to her every day that we do our scenes."

     Megara's heart sunk for a quick moment.  "Yeah, right.  That... makes sense.  I'm sorry.  I didn't think about how awkward all of that might be for you."

     "Don't... apologize.  It's not your fault."

     Megara rested her hand on his shoulder.  "You're doing great, you've been really proving that you can handle this.  But... if you wanna call it off, I understand."

     Ricky furrowed his brows.  "No, I don't... I think... I mean it might be working?  I don't know, but it was my idea and I need to stick with something instead of bailing all the time."

     Megara tilted her head back, overlooking the boy in front of her.  He seemed genuine enough, lips slightly parted with wild eyes and raised eyebrows meeting her interested gaze.  "You know what, I'm kinda proud of you."

     Ricky blinked rapidly.  "Are you being serious right now?"

     "Just don't repeat that to anyone," Megara slipped her hand through his and clutched tightly, dragging them back to the room for rehearsal.