Chapter 2: Thesalia

When she awoke, the hessian bag was gone, replaced with a blindfold that made her skin itch. The air smelled of damp wood and salt water, and the ground rocked steadily beneath her. Not the ground, she realised, a ship. Panicked, she reached up to pull at the blindfold, but chains rattled around her wrists, preventing her from lifting them above her shoulders. She cursed. If she had her cards, she could've broke free. But something told her that they were lost at sea, just as she was.

Thesalia lifted the skirts of her gown delicately as she ascended the staircase, her hand resting on Soleil's elbow. The grand palace of Famir was gorgeous, she had to admit, with its onion domed ceilings decorated in multicoloured shatterglass, shining rainbows onto the marble floor whenever the light hit it. The pillars were round with simple adornments at the head and foot - elegant, modest while still boasting their class. It was so Rhaja, so unlike home. Her stomach knotted.

Soleil guided her to one of the butlers at the top of the staircase, who looked them up and down with a sceptical brow. There was a hint of confusion as the glamour settled over him. He would not be seeing Thesalia in a gown that was too short in the sleeves and tight around the bust, but an elegant sari tied over her shoulder, the golden coin decorations shimmering and jingling with every slight movement. He would not be seeing Soleil as a short, curvy girl dressed in a man's suit that was too long in the legs, but a tall, clean-shaven man in a suit that complimented Thesalia's outfit.

"Good evening," Soleil said, handing over their invitations with a blinding smile.

The butler appraised the invitations with less concern than he had appraised the two of them, now he had experienced the glamour's full force. "Welcome, Mr and Mrs Jinha," he said with a small bow. "The Royal Family thanks you for attending and wishes you an enjoyable evening."

"Thank you," Thesalia said with a smirk. "I'm sure we'll have an excellent time."

Once they passed the butler and crossed the threshold into the palace's interior, Thesalia heard Soleil's voice clear in her mind.

We're in. Will head towards the main hall.

Good work, came Absidy's soft reply; both aloud and across their bond, she was always the most soft-spoken of the coven. She was a good companion to have – she could tug on the heartstrings of anyone because of it, and no one expected her to be as dangerous as she was. I have made my way into the kitchens. I'll be serving the guests drinks once these glasses are filled.

Try not to poison anyone, Thesalia butted in.

Only one will be harmed tonight, Absidy reminded her.

Only if there's no trouble.

She and Soleil were announced at the door to the ballroom by a caller, and it took her a moment to recognise the identities they had stolen from the poor couple that were now passed out in their beds with no idea they were missing the Queen's birthday gathering.

Frankly, if Thesalia had chosen differently, if she'd had her way, she and the rest of her coven wouldn't be in attendance either. She'd known she should ignore the letter the moment it arrived at their residence in Alsidia, known she should have ignored her father's summons, but her pride had gotten the better of her. She had to go, she decided, and had to give him her answer in person. But he'd managed to capture her attention.

"There are whispers," General Warren had said.

"There are always whispers."

"There are whispers that the Adventurer Prince entered the Land of Beasts."