Chapter 18: Homecoming

Kaden

I lay back in my chair, rubbing my hands over my face.

"Kaden!" I hear coming from my laptop. "Let me in."

I lift my head and remove the hands from my face. I sit up and move closer to the computer, looking through the surveillance cameras.

I do not wait a second after I open the gate to run out of my office towards Mack.

Running down the pathway, I go to him and scoop him in my arms.

I can feel the sunlight on my skin as I walk down the pathway to the duo coming towards me.

"Sir, this boy was making trouble in town," Don says, walking over with a young teen. "He was getting into it with another vampire."

I look over to the boy. He's looking down at my shoes and biting his lip.

I look back to Don. "Thank you, Don. I'll take it from here."

I press my nose against his throat and take in his scent.

We stay like this for a while longer before we both pull away.

"I was so worried about you," I tell him, wishing for some explanation about how he can be here right now. "I tried everything to look for you."

"I know. Thank you. I handled it."

I grab onto his hand as we walk up the pathway to the front door of the home.

"What happened?"

His face falls. "I'll tell you everything, but not right now."

"Was it bad?"

He nods. "Yes. There is also some things he told me that I'm confused by."

"I understand. Let's get you inside so you can eat and you can tell me when you're ready."

Mack squeezes my hand. "Thank you."

We walk up the steps and I open the door for him.