23: Climax

You tapped your foot impatiently as you sat at the breakfast table of Olivia's apartment. Looking out the window, you saw a drizzle of rain wash over the foliage below and heard the usual sounds of the city. With the weather like this, you couldn't blame Taeyong for being at least a bit late.

5:50. It read on the electronic clock in the kitchen. The house was empty, with Olivia bidding you adieu yesterday to visit her family.

You had gotten ready an hour before, you were so nervous. At least 4 outfits were tried on, scrutinized, and then thrown to the ground before deciding the 5th outfit was adequate. The dress was too formal, the sweatshirt too casual, but the skinny jeans and t-shirt combo was perfect. See, you didn't want to look too desperate when Taeyong came in, in fact, you were trying to be standoffish—

Knock knock knock.

Your heart beat a stamp into your ribs, while the feeling in the pit of your stomach roiled. Your hand clasped the doorknob, unlocked, and swung it open.

Taeyong, in his great glory, stood there. Just seeing the eyes that made you fall in love made your heart stutter, just a tiny bit.

However, Prof. Andrews was not wrong. Taeyong still retained his classical good looks, all sharp lines, and angles, but those lines were sharper and those angles were deeper. He looked gaunt and pale, and dressed in a black button-up it contrasted to his skin so greatly it made him look even paler. There were shadows under his eyes, but his eyes were still smoldering. Still as enigmatic as always.

"Taeyong. Come in," you regained what little dignity you had left and graciously let him in through the door. He nodded silently and slipped off his glossy black Gucci loafers and took your lead into the kitchen.

"Do you want something to drink? Water? Tea?" you asked as you leaned against the counter and crossed your arms.

"No, I'm fine. Thank you," Taeyong murmured as he sat uncomfortably in his chair.

An awkward silence prevailed as you stood in each other's presence as the first time in months. Heavy, tense silence grew between the two of you as you fumbled with a knick-knack on the counter and his eyes darted nervously around. It had been far too long, but the way he sat there banished the feeling of something missing from your mind.

"I thought you were on hiatus?" you said, and waved around the Polaroid of the painting.

"I am. I just said no paintings were being released, that's all; not that I couldn't paint anything," Taeyong sighed.

"Ah."

Another heavy silence.

Annoyed by the lack of action, you harshly slammed the knick-knack onto the counter. Taeyong didn't jump, but his eyes darted to you far too fast to be casual.

"Well, Lee Taeyong? Why are you in this apartment?" you sarcastically shot at him.

"I wanted to ask why you left me. Humor me; let me into that infuriating brain of yours, Y/n."

"I think I already made it clear when I vacated the apartment, Lee Taeyong. I even left a note. Or were you far too busy with your obligations to remember that?" you venomously spat.

"Stop calling me that! We're not fucking strangers!" Taeyong suddenly shouted, scooting back his chair suddenly. His fists were balled up and he had an awful look of fury on his face.

"What? Lee Taeyong? Well, I call you that because we might as well be!" you shout back.

"Damn it, Y/n! Why the fuck did you leave me, huh? Was I not good enough for you? Was I not rich enough for you? Hell, did I not fuck good enough for you?" Taeyong snapped at you, gripping the table tops so hard his knuckles turned white.