Hostage

The Walkers strolled in the rooms with a confidence that traitors like their selves shouldn't be privilege to. Matthew looked the most different with an ugly scar covering his once flawless face. Holding a knife in his right hand he moved toward us. Huddling together dread filled me as Tim grinned at us. "Well no greeting for old friends." He laughed as Cody joined him. Mel looked on gloating like she finally won.

"They have no manners even my sister did not greet me"  Mel taunted flipping her hair. "And Andy you should be thanking me for saving your first love Matthew." At that I nearly spat out a swear, but Rachel covered my mouth. Mel's confidence seems to swell after this as she continued. "I had to save Matthew after a soldier almost sliced his face off." Like reliving the memory Matthew touched his face.

"Yes, without Melissa we would have been gone" Tim supplied giving Mel a grin. "My thanks dear but lets get to business and finally get what we deserve." Mel nodded and walked up to us and with a glow of her hands roots shot up from the floorboards.

Screaming I tried to escape but one wrapped around my legs. The grip alone was fierce and turning to see all of my friends were in the same struggle but Louis.

Instead the king was fighting in vain trying to free Laura tangled in a mess of roots. Her hands and feet were restrained and soon the rest of us were immobile.

Turning toward the Walkers Louis tried to rush them but a strangle yell stopped him in his tracks. One root around Laura was constricting her neck. My small friend coughed trying to breathe. Panicked I fought against my binds, but nothing worked.

Laura collapsed on the ground holding her throat as Louis came to her side. "Let her go" he begged turning to the source of this madness.

Looking down at us like this was one of her greatest moments. Mel only lifted her hand and the roots got tighter with Laura barely hanging on. "I will free them when you give all of us pardons."

"Fine" Louis accepted in a defeated voice. "Now let go of Laura and I will go to the castle and start the process."

"How do we know you will keep your word" accused Cody standing beside his father. Cody had a rusted sword pointed at Louis as he moved towards the king.

"My son we have the girls as leverage" answer Tim but stopped as Laura whizzed. "Melissa free the girls we need them alive for our goals."

Few grunts were the only warning as the roots released us.  In a flash Louis was by Laura's side holding her as she tried to catch a breath. Kissing her face Louis eyes was filled with tears as he held her. It was a sweet moment before Cody and Matthew separated the two. Fighting Cody' grasp Louis only yielded when Matthew raised a knife to Laura's neck.

"King Louis  are you going back on your promise to us" Matthew said pressing the knife closer to my friend's neck. Laura squeaked as she looked around with her sightless eyes. I wanted so badly to help but anything I do would only make things worse.

"I will go please don't hurt her" Louis giving up. Slowly Tim gestured to the door and with that both men exited the building. Once Louis was gone Matthew threw Laura to the ground with all of us surrounding her immediately.

Touching her face, I looked for any cuts on her neck. Sighing I was happy not seeing a mark on her. The sound of clapping made me turned to my sister leaning against the wall. "Very touching the four-disappointment sticking together. It always amazed me how you always stood by each other and fitting you were captured together." And with that Mel left the room with Cody and Matthew following behind.

Hearing a latching of the door I let myself fall apart. "God how are we going to get out of this."

"With faith." Rachel's voice had solace and strength that made me stare at my friend. Holding Laura, she had no tears in her amber eyes but determination. I couldn't understand she was pregnant and a hostage, but nothing seems to faze her. She literally was the rock of our group and Rachel didn't panic. "Faith kept me alive when Weston was raided, and it will not let us down girls. I had to believe when I thought I would never see you all again. I had that same belief when mother turned on me."