Chapter I

Two years ago.

Every member of the family was talking – talking about school, work, hobby's, the weather, recently purchased items – and all she did was push her food around on her plate. Some would call it OCD or a weird habit, she would contradict and tell them it was her way of having control over something in her life. The beans had to be aligned next to each other, the meat was supposed to be in the corner of the square plate, the sauce in the center couldn't touch the rest of the food, and the rice was pushed around until every grain was no longer sticking to eachother.

"Stop playing with your food, Libby."

Lifting up her blue eyes from her meal, she was met with a pair of striking green eyes belonging to her mother. With only one look, the woman could freeze into an ice queen and it seemed like nobody could melt her. Libby tried not taking it personal, not every mother loves her daughter to the moon and back ...

"Libby I didn't cook this meal for you to stare at. Now, eat."

It seemed like Libby was the only one picking up on her mother's hostile tone because no one at the table was fazed as they continued their conversations. Except for one person – the one sitting right across from her at the table, smirking like the devil. That person was Satan in Libby's eyes but to others he was just her brother, Axel.

"What's that, Libby," he commented with smugness oozing from his tone. "Don't like what mom cooked today? You're saying it tastes like crap?"

Libby was sure she hadn't said anything. In fact, she hadn't uttered a word since she took a seat at the table. It was so typically Axel to put words in her mouth, words she didn't even dare to think.

"No, I was just," Libby cleared her throat, trying to steady her voice, "I was distracted. It really tastes great mom."

The woman stared her down with no emotion, eyes as empty as a promise. But Libby noticed the signs – the ticked jaw, the stiffened shoulders, the white knuckles around a glass of wine. Her mother was looking for an excuse to be spiteful. Luckily her father took over before things got out of hand again.

"Honey," his voice was deep and soothing. His large hand grabbed his wife's elegant fingers, an action that was enough to take her attention away from their daughter. And then, out of nowhere the tension vanished and before you knew it everyone was conversing and enjoying their meal as if nothing had happened.

Libby swallowed hard before dropping her gaze back to her plate. She used her fork and knife to cut a piece of the meat before putting it in her mouth. The texture was dry and too overcooked. She had a hard time swallowing it down no matter how much she chewed, wanting nothing more than to spit it out.

A hand slowly shoved a glass of water towards her.

She flickered her eyes up to meet two hazel ones looking back at her. He wasn't smiling, but his eyes were. The corner of Libby's lips twitched in her own version of a smile, a thank you. Till this day on, she still couldn't for the life of her understand how Aaron was related to Axel. They shared a womb for nine months and yet they looked like they came from different worlds, no different universes. It seemed like Axel had sucked up all the cruel and bad genes, leaving the kind and thoughtful ones for Aaron.

Libby grabbed the glass of water, bringing it up to her lips. Over the brim of the glass, she could see Axel watching her. He looked dissatisfied, as if he was angry she got off too lightly. From the day she was born, Libby was certain that he made it his personal mission to make her life as miserable as possible. Aaron told her once that he was just jealous because he used to be the youngest, the favorite of the family until she came along. Libby would scoff every time she thought about it, she was far from the favorite.