꧁Tʜᴇ Mᴀᴄʀᴇᴀᴅʏ꧂

Start from the beginning

Both girls were avid readers yet Katherine had always been able to finish books quickly whereas Susan could only read books slowly to grasp their plot.

Edmund sat on the other side of Susan and complained every now and again about how cramped the compartment was.

Peter sat opposite them, all his precious books taking up the rest of the seat space which Katherine thought was completely unfair as four of them had to share a seat whilst he got one to himself.

Lucy shifted in her seat and kicked Edmund accidentally who bumped into Susan who dropped her book.

Edmund began to shout at Lucy who woke and started to tear up whilst Susan yelled at both of them for losing her page. Peter set down his books about to yell at them all when the train had a burst of speed and a jolt shook through the train.

Katherine, who had been silently watching the fields pass by whilst the siblings bickered, was thrown forward and hit her head on the glass very hard.

The arguing died down and Katherine stood up hand clutching her head.

"Susan, you can find your place again Ed didn't mean to bump you" she exclaimed.

She then turned to Edmund, "Ed, Luce didn't mean to kick you she was asleep"

Finally, she turned to Lucy and shrugged off her coat and held it out to the youngest Pevensie, "Here Luce, lie against the window using this. Try and sleep with you legs down"

She then began to move Peter's books away from the window and sat in the corner.

Peter still had more than half of the compartment seat and looked a bit ashamed as she huddled on the side.

Katherine loved the cold. She hardly ever felt it, to her it was refreshing. However, if she ever got sick or felt upset somehow the cold would creep its way into her body and make her shake.

She didn't know whether it would have been better to feel coldness all the time or to feel it occasionally and nearly freeze to death.

Lucy was fast asleep on her coat and even if she hadn't been Katherine would never have taken the coat back.

So she sat trying to concentrate on not letting her body visibly shake. She thought she was doing well until out of the corner of her eye she saw Peter shrug his own coat off.

He held it out to her and insisted that she wear it as it was cold in the train but after she refused the first time he added that he was also annoyed that her shivering was shaking his books.

She snatched the still-warm coat out of his hands and grumbled a thanks before putting it on. Goodness knows Peter could never do anything nice for her unless he got something out of it.

She couldn't help but inhale deeply when she put the coat on, although she tried to make it look inconspicuous. She couldn't help loving the musky smell on the coat. It wasn't her fault that all boys smelt nice.

The coat was too big and she enveloped herself in it. The smell, the coat, it was just a homely feeling to her. Like she was safe. For the first time on their train ride, she passed off into a dreamless sleep.

꧁꧂꧁꧂꧁꧂

Katherine woke up to someone gently shaking her shoulder. She rubbed her eyes and sat up to see Lucy standing with Katherine's coat folded over one arm.

The rest of the compartment was empty and all the luggage had gone including her own trunk. Lucy handed Katherine her coat and only then did she realize she still had Peter's on.