Chapter thirty - In which you travel to Asgard

Start from the beginning

"Sorry, thanks." you said.

"Y/N, welcome to Asgard." Heimdall said; you didn't ask how he knew your name. The guy had golden eyes, you weren't about to question him.

"Thank you." you replied, turning to see him observing you as if you were an interesting artefact and Thor smiling at his home. The sight of him so happy made you smile.

In comparison to Thor's good mood, there was a frosty atmosphere between Heimdall and Loki. You didn't know the fine details, but you guessed there had been some sort of clash between the two of them when Loki had been king for a short while. You made a mental note to ask Thor what had happened later on.

After bidding Heimdall farewell, you followed Thor on to the Bifrost where there were three horses waiting for you.

"While I am glad we don't have to walk, whoever assumed I could ride a horse assumed wrong." you said, stopping when you saw the huge creatures.

You pretended not to notice as Thor glanced ever so briefly at Loki, who shot Thor a death glare in return and climbed up on to one of the horses as if he'd been doing it all his life.

"You can ride with me. I'll have to teach you how to ride properly one day." Thor said, and you avoided looking at Loki as you clambered (so not elegantly) onto one of the horses. Thor swung himself up behind you and you set off towards the palace. You still couldn't believe the view, still half convinced that you were in fact dead and arriving in heaven.

When you reached the palace Thor dismounted the horse and then helped you down. You were attracting a lot of attention from Asgardian citizens, most of whom had stopped to stare as you walked towards the palace. You kept having to remind yourself that Loki and Thor were royalty here. Walking up the steps into the palace, past the heavily armed guards, you couldn't help but feel nervous. You were completely out of your depth here, whereas Thor seemed completely at home. Loki was walking with his head down, no longer seeming happy or excited to be returning home. As you walked through the palace you opened your mind, trying to reach out to him and talk even though his mind firmly closed off. You'd never tried to get into his head, and it made you feel slightly light-headed as you walked. But eventually it worked.

What?

Are you okay?

At first he didn't reply, but then he slowed down and allowed you to catch up with him, letting Thor stride ahead of the two of you.

"There's still a lot about me that you don't know; I don't think Thor told you everything like you said before. Coming back here... it's just a reminder." Loki told you quietly.

"He said he told me everything." you protested, frowning at Thor's back.

"Did he tell you I tried to kill him?"

You missed a beat, almost tripping over your own feet. Loki smirked briefly, but his eyes remained downcast.

"I thought not."

You walked in silence for a bit while you struggled to come up with something to say. You were desperate to know the full story, but now wasn't the right time. Loki misinterpreted your silence as nerves.

"Don't worry, my mother will love you." he told you confidently.

"And Odin?" you asked. He didn't reply.

"Remember, my mother can read minds too." Loki said, and then you were in the throne room, if you could call it a room. It was the size of the interior of a cathedral, if not bigger, and a huge throne occupied the far wall. And occupying that, was Odin. Well, you assumed it was Odin anyway, he looked like one would expect a king to look, and he only had one eye. Next to Odin stood a beautiful, kind looking woman who could only be Frigga. This was confirmed as you walked into the room.

"My sons, welcome home." she said happily, descending gracefully down the stairs which led to the throne to embrace Thor and Loki. Odin remained silent.

"And Y/N. Welcome to Asgard." she smiled, moving forward to clasp your hands in hers.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Your Majesty." you replied, returning her smile.

"Please, call me Frigga. I believe we have much to discuss." she said, returning to stand by her husband's side. Odin was regarding you with something like displeasure, his hands resting lazily on the arms of his throne.

"We did wonder why you summoned Lady Y/N to Asgard with us." Thor prompted, looking back at you. Loki was admiring the ceiling, as if the conversation were boring him. You could tell he was nervous.

"Well, I'll get straight to the point. I'm afraid Odin and I have somewhat of a confession to make." Frigga explained, turning to Odin for support. He simply nodded at her to go on.

"Y/N, when you were a child you didn't understand that you possessed magic. When you were four years old there was an incident with another child, and again when you were five. You weren't allowed to attend school, and eventually it got to a stage where you couldn't interact with anyone other than your parents. You weren't like the other children and that scared people. On your sixth birthday, your father decided to take you outside as a treat... there was yet another incident in which a man was almost killed. After that the decision was made that it wasn't safe for you to remain on Asgard, so you were moved to a children's home on Midgard."

"And you thought that would be safer?" Loki asked in disgust, suddenly involved in the conversation.

"I suggest you remain quiet Loki." Odin said.

You were reeling. Why didn't you remember any of this? If you'd been five, surely you should have some recollection of Asgard, of your home, your parents? Frigga seemed to understand what you were thinking.

"That, however, is not the confession." she continued, and you looked back at her. She sighed deeply before continuing.

"We took your memories."