I hesitated.

Did I chance trying to get help from the police?

They were better equipped to deal with situations like this, hell it was their job, but if I went to them for help there was no doubt they'd keep me from trying to find Gemma myself and there was no way I was going to sit back and wait for somebody else to try and find her.

By the time they found her- if they found her, it'd be too late.

I took one last look at the flashing lights before continuing on.

If Gemma was going to get out of this alive, I was going to have to be the one to do it. If he knew the police were on his tail it might make that bastard do something drastic and that wasn't a risk I was willing to take. Not with Gemma's life at stake.

I glanced in the direction of the police a second time before trudging forward again.

I made it to the edge of the clearing and to the path the van had sped down. I could still see dirt and dust floating in the air from where the van had disturbed the ground when it sped through.

I allowed myself to look over my shoulder one last time before I started forward.

I didn't have time to second guess myself.

I couldn't go back on any decision I made.

Every decision I made from this point on was the difference between life and death. A game I was all too familiar with but hated playing.

I prayed I had made the right decision.

~ ~ ~

Hours.

That's how long it felt like I had been wandering around these damn God forsaken woods.

I'm pretty sure I had lost the van's trail a mile back when the trail itself had disappeared.

He had went off the trail with Gemma and I was no closer to finding her than I was when I started.

You'd think there be some kind of clue as to which way they went when a big ass van came hurdling through a forest otherwise untouched by humans.

Flattened grass, birds flying up, scattering animals. Something.

There was nothing.

The fact that it was untouched by humans was actually what caused me problems. Everything was so overgrown and dense I couldn't see too far ahead of me.

Which brought on the question, how the hell did he maneuver a big ass van through here?

There's no way.

Frowning, I glanced over my shoulder and looked back the way I had come.

Unless...

Spinning around fast enough to give myself whiplash, I started sprinting back the way I had come.

I must've missed something.

I had to have missed something.

There was no way he could get a van through a forest that densely packed. Which meant he had to have stopped somewhere before he got here and somehow... somehow I missed it.

I picked up my pace and ran as fast as I could, stray branches slapping and scratching me across the face, back to where the trail had first ended.

Once I reached the trail's end I blindly turned in a circle looking for anything that could've been out of place.

I couldn't move my eyes fast enough.

There had to be something here.

Out of breath and panting, I slowed my spinning and tried to will myself to do this slowly. I wasn't going to find anything wildly looking like this.