A sorcerers help

"Sire" Sir Gwaine burst through his chamber doors, placing his hands on his knees as he caught his breath.

"Sire, the beast just attacked the lower town again, at least 10 people dead" He finally spoke.

Arthur leant forward and placed his hands in his hair as he heaved a deep sigh. This was the third time in a week a strange beast had attacked the lower part of Camelot. The first time It attacked it was merely the size of a wolf and seemed to be interested in terrorising the village instead of killing. Though now, the beast was as big as a unicorn that seemed to be solely interested in taking lives.

The knights attempted to slay the beast but it soon became apparent to them that simple swords wouldn't be efficient enough. They sought the help of a neighbouring kingdom and teamed up with their knights in hopes of slaying the beast together with no avail, all they succeeded in doing was making it angry.

"Sire" Gwaine's voice broke him out of his thoughts. The King lifted his head up and turned to face the knight who had the familiar glint in his eyes.

"What? do you have a plan?" The King asked hopefully.

Gwaine bit his lip nervously as he thought the plan over once more. He knew it was going to be painful but it was becoming clearer to the other knights, who all agreed, that the only way to stop the beast was using magic.

"The beast is growing bigger every attack and our weapons aren't doing any damage to it" The knight explained. "The knights and I thought it over and it appears the only option is magic"

Arthur stood up from his chair so fast it toppled over behind him. "Absolutely not"

"Sire, I know you don't want to resort to this but we have no option. If we don't ask for his help the beast will only continue to attack and more innocent people will die, we can't let it happen"

Arthur ran a hand through his hair as he picked the chair up and sat back down, his knees suddenly growing weak. The king knew since the second attack the beast was of some magical kind as it somehow grew a large amount in a few days but he didn't want to admit It to himself. Magic, in Arthur's eyes was an evil weapon and that anyone who wields it deserved to die immediately. Now, After his former manservant and best friend was exposed for being a sorcerer and was banished from the castle, his feelings towards it were pure anger.

Merlin was his best friend, everyone's best friend. He was a kind and loyal boy who would give assistance to anyone despite their rank, peasant or royal. Since his first day at Camelot, he became Gaius' physician's apprentice and from that day on, he showed such precise care for the sick and injured. Merlin had shown such loyalty and respect to Arthur and the knights of the round table since the very beginning, despite his very sarcastic and playful banter he and the blonde shared over the years. Arthur would never admit it now, but he even developed a sort of crush on the boy. He knew nothing would come out of his feelings, but that didn't stop his heart from fluttering at the sight of the boy's toothy grin, nor did it stop the way his breath hitched in his throat when he and the boy locked eyes. When Merlin was banished from the castle, the king pushed all the former feelings he had for him out of his brain and fought to forget about them.

Arthur squeezed his eyes shut as he made is decision, he just hoped it was the right one. "Very well, you may request for his assistance"

"Yes Sire" Gwaine smiled reassuringly at him as he walking to the door. Just as he was about to twist the handle he looked back over his shoulder and spoke again. "Sire, you're doing the right thing"

The King nodded aimlessly before he turned his attention back to the window. He sure hoped it was doing the right thing.

***