Epilogue II: Second Chances

̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ・☽ ༓ ☾・  ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶  ̶̶̶̶

-- 3 MONTHS AFTER THE FINAL BATTLE 

"Mary," the potioneer greeted in surprise as he looked up from his book of ledgers. 

"Severus," she greeted with a warm smile. 

In the months after the battle, Mary had remained true to her word. When Snape woke after the end of the battle, Mary was beside his bed, already filling him in on everything he missed. He didn't know whether it was the scare of him getting injured or the anxiety from the battle itself, but she seemed to have dealt with her reservations and latent hostility. She never brought up that incident at Hogwarts after the final battle, and he never bothered to question the gift.  

"What brings you in today?" 

"Oh, just some potions for Lily," Mary called out, perusing the shelves of his latest stock.

In the months since the last battle, Severus took the opportunity to renavigate his life. He opened up an apothecary in Diagon Alley with the money he scrounged up from selling his place on Spinner's End. With businesses and social life picking up with the end-of-war elation, his business thrived in the busy market. 

Mary, on the other hand, finally picked her specialization for healer training, deciding to go into maternal and pediatric care. Naturally, once Lily learned this, she would have no one else as her attending healer during the remainder of her pregnancy. 

"I thought she didn't get nauseous this time around?" Snape asked in concern. Lily hadn't mentioned any pregnancy sickness the last time they spoke. 

"She doesn't," Mary quickly clarified. "But I was doing some research in the muggle world, and apparently, it's good for mothers to get supplemental nutrients while they're pregnant. I brought a list," she smiled, holding up a small scrap of paper. 

Severus walked over to her, smoothly plucking the sheet from her hand. He unfurled it as she waited in front of him, rocking on her heels as he looked over it. 

"Well, I don't have any of these on hand, but I could certainly open up a new line for pregnant witches. It'll take me at least a few days to brew. If it's urgent, you can surely get it from another more established apothecary." 

Mary rolled her eyes with a huff of a laugh. "You know Lily trusts no one else's potions but yours. Why do you think I've been in here so often?" 

Severus' onyx gaze flitted up from the paper, boring into her. "Is that the only reason?" 

Mary's breath stuttered, and she forced out a light laugh. "Well, I'm certainly not buying all these pregnancy potions for myself."     

Severus chose not to say anything, still staring at her askingly.

"I'm not exaggerating, you know. Lily really does value you." Mary insisted. In fact, it was a thought that weighed heavily on her sometimes. 

Granted, she was fully aware that Lily was a happily married woman about to have her second child with the person she loved. But she was also aware of the deep history between Severus and Lily. Even back in Hogwarts, Mary had always been very observant. Of course, she knew Lily was not a real threat in whatever she and Severus shared. But Mary didn't want to be his consolation prize.   

"I know she does," Severus said carefully. "I care about her too." 

"I know you do," she emphasized, hoping he would understand what she was trying to say. "I mean, you switched sides in the bloody war all for this one girl! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you did. But I know how much she means to you."